Over sanitizing bottles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa-in-utah

Reaction score
Am I going to far???

1. Washed in hot water with mild soap
2. Rinsed throughly with hot water
3. In the dishwasher on rinse and heated dry
4. Soak in iodophor then air dry
5. Bottle the brew

Is that overdoing it? I would rather err on the side of caution. You would agree with me if you knew my "normal luck". No luck but bad luck on this end. Just want to ensure no infections.

Any advice?

It' s never overdone when it comes to sanitation. I do the same thing, only I do with starsan and soak the bottles until I'm ready to use them.

Dan

I wash the bottles as soon as I pour the beer from them, which makes sure that I don't get any solid residue.

Then I soak them in starsan for 15 mins before bottling. That's it. You might be overdoing it, but I've never used iodophor, so I dunno what it requires.

EDIT: if they're icky bottles that I get from someone else, I'll soak them overnight in oxyclean, then rinse them thoroughly in hot water.

I just rinse my bottles after i drink them. At bottling day i squirt in some Star San and set the bottles on my dishwasher rack to drip dry. StarSan only takes 30 seconds to sanitize, and that time can include the time sitting on the rack drip-drying. Same goes for iodophor.

Skip the dishwasher. Clean the bottles, get some iodophor on the inside, swirl the bottle to coat all side, then plop them on your dishwasher rack. Easy peasy.

I do something similar. After drinking a bottled beer, I rinse the glass with hot water (soak it if the label needs to come off). I give it a spin in the dishwasher, then let it dry until bottling day. On bottling day, I use Star San solution without any rinsing.

To me step 3 seems entirely unnecessary if you did an adequate job with #1 and 2.

I use swing-top bottles, and just make sure to rinse them out really well as soon as I empty a bottle. Then I fill them with water and close them up until brew day. Then one quick rinse with the bottle washer, a quick jet of StarSan on the sanitizer injector, and away I go. Never had an infection develop in the bottle.

I agree that 3 is not really needed.

Also, iodophor does not have to dry completely to sanitize.

photogscott said:
What I don't understand is how you can fill bottles that have sanitizing solution coated inside. Seem like a yeast killer

OK, I am sorry, that might be confusing. Obviously you don't want it coating the bottles. What I was trying to convey is that it doesn't have to dry to sanitize. If you soak them in 12.5 ppm iodophor, shake out the extra, and let them drain for 20 minutes there is some moisture left but it is sanitized and does not kill the yeast (I can speak from experience.).

I fill my bottles with star san and then bottle right on top of the foam. I fill the bottles to top and the foam comes out first. I have noticed that after i pour my beers there seems to be some starn san like foam in the bottle, but no problems with taste!

I wash them all out as soon as I pour from them. Bottle day I rinse them and put them in a big tub of Iodophor. Then they go upside down in a recent run dishwasher rack to dry.

The amount of fluid coating the bottles (or in the foam) is so minute that it's ridiculous. Dont worry if it hasnt totally dripped out or dried.

As a side note, if you use TOO MUCH iodophor, meaning you squirt more than what's directed, you will have exceeded the no-rinse limit. After that point, you should be rinsing the sanitizer out, which totally negates the whole process.

Always measure your santizer correctly. Dont judge by the color of the mix.

1. Wash in the dishwasher when I empty them.
2. Hang on the bottle tree.
3. Wash with Straight A the day before I bottle and rinse really well.
4. Hang on the bottle tree.
5. On bottling day I sanitize the bottling tree, sanitize the bottles, and hang them on the bottle tree until I fill them up.

You must really enjoy bottles. I only ever rinsed out the solid chunks and dunked them in sanitizer. iodaphore or star-san, for 30 seconds and bottle while they're still wet.

photogscott said:
What I don't understand is how you can fill bottles that have sanitizing solution coated inside. Seem like a yeast killer
Diluting the already dilute sanitizer makes it inoperative.

Is using bleach on the bottles, then rinsing in hot water, then starsan soaking bad?
Does anyone use bleach?

I have had trouble with my last two batches getting good carbonation in the bottles, could this be the problem?

One batch I primed with priming sugar, the other with cab tabs..

Thanks!

Back