a couple simple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosmatt

Reaction score
2nd all grain batch today. unfortunately my sparge temps were way low, not sure how i messed that up, and bummed i cannot find strike temps for double batch sparging in beersmith.
they have a great calculator for mash temp tho, and it worked perfect.
i wanted 153, and i had 153....
then, i added 2 gals @ 180*f, and my first sparge temp went ended up @ 160. second sparge added at 182 since the grainbed was a bit hotter, i did not wanna go too far... sencond sparge was 165 :(

anyway, runnings time are the main questions.

1. how long does it take you to drain your mash into the pot?

2. 1st sparge and second, how long till does it take you from adding water (and do you rest for a few mins?) before your adding your water for the second sparge?

3. why isn't us-05 in beersmith!!! ????
lol... what yeast can i use as an alternative in the program (i know, does not realy matter) i am using nottingham right now.

time to transfer wort to fermenter...

3. why isn't us-05 in beersmith!!! ????
lol... what yeast can i use as an alternative in the program (i know, does not realy matter) i am using nottingham right now.

time to transfer wort to fermenter...

I fly sparge so I can't answer your questions about that. You can add US-05 to BeerSmith.

Safale American AleDCL YeastUS-05

Type: Ale
Form: DryAttenuation: 70.00 %
Min Temperature: 59.0 FFlocculation: MediumMax Temperature: 75.0 FSize: 50 ml Times Cultured: 0 Add To Secondary: FALSE Max Reuse: 5 Inventory: 0 Pkgs Best For: Notes: A ready-to-pitch dry American ale yeast. Safale US-05 produces well balanced beers with low
diacetyl and a very clean, crisp end palate. Sedimentation: low to medium. Final gravity:
medium.​

It's funny how little the temp will raise when you're splitting your sparge in two. I think I was dumping in 185* water on the first sparge and barely got to 170*. I think I used 180* the second time and it still hovered around 170*.:confused: Oh, well...gravity numbers were on anyway.

and how long does it take to drain your tun?

im just wondering if i went too fast or what. i missed the beersmith estimated og by 8 points... 1062 vs. 1070....

I never timed it but I'd say 1/2 gallon per minute is about right. It will go faster at first and then slow down towards the end because there's less head pressure pushing the wort out. For example, on a 3 gallon drain, you might get the first gallon in 45 seconds, then the second gallon takes 90 seconds.

Just want to make sure I have something straight. You did fully drain the mash out before adding any sparge water right?

cool, thanks.

now ill have to figger out how...

Open BeerSmith. On the left hand column under views click on yeasts. It's right under water profiles. Once you click on yeasts in the upper left hand corner under the task bar (File, Edit, etc) there is a box called new yeast click on that and add the information I gave you.

I down loaded the spec sheet for US-05 off of the internet. Here is the link:

http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/pdf/SafaleUS05.pdf

I do only a single sparge addition....doing more than that just never made sense with my system. For 7.5 gal. in the kettle, it takes me a total of 15 min. from the time I start my mash runoff til the time the sparge is done and all the wort's in the kettle. I average about 85% efficiency.

Back