White spots on top of beer in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone!

I recently brewed my fifth batch of beer. I bottled it, then 14 days later I refrigerated it, and tasted it, and it was very good. But then, a month later, I opened one bottle that was still in my closet (not in the fridge) and I saw white dots floating on top of the beer. I could see white dots like that in every bottle (through the glass). There are small (smaller than a needle head), and there are 3 to 5 per bottle.

I didn't smell bad, nor taste bad, but I wonder if it could have turned bad even after it was okay a month earlier.

So... is my batch still good or not?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Hi everyone!

I recently brewed my fifth batch of beer. I bottled it, then 14 days later I refrigerated it, and tasted it, and it was very good. But then, a month later, I opened one bottle that was still in my closet (not in the fridge) and I saw white dots floating on top of the beer. I could see white dots like that in every bottle (through the glass). There are small (smaller than a needle head), and there are 3 to 5 per bottle.

I didn't smell bad, nor taste bad, but I wonder if it could have turned bad even after it was okay a month earlier.

So... is my batch still good or not?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

From what I have seen on this board, bad infections don't present themselves as tiny little, "What are those things in my beer" At room temp, most infections are going to take over the top of the beer.

More than likely, what you are seeing is yeast that has been stirred up when you picked up the bottle to inspect it.

Back