Need a BarleyWine Recipe using EKG.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I do see quite a few American BW recipes floating around both on here and on the Jamil list at beerdujour.com but I really need to use EKG. I'm thinking that the major difference between English/American is the hops (and maybe the yeast). Here's my dilemma; I was planning on brewing a mid gravity beer and doing a cake pitch of the BW. The problem is, I've got a backlog of English beers so I suspect I'll only be able to do this with a US-05 based beer like an APA or Amber.

Would an English BW work OK on US-05 or should I be just pitching like 3 packs of Notingham/S-04?

Mash 1-3 degrees higher and use the 05 and that should give you that maltiness you want. I would also use English Crystal, To me it seems maltier (if you know what I mean)

I don't think malty is the key for the yeast (it's going to finish with a higher FG anyway) it's the esters from an English yeast strain that you want. I don't have any recipes ready made (though I do plan to do an English barleywine this year), do you have Designing Great Beers? The ratios for the grain bill are pretty simple and he explains the hops well.

From "Radical Brewing"
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Dragon's Milk October Beer
Brewer: Chad Ward
Asst Brewer:
Style: Old Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.18 gal
Estimated OG: 1.088 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 73.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
15.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
3.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (90 min) Hops 60.0 IBU
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 13.5 IBU
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) (ArHops -
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) [Starter 12Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 15.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 19.38 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 10.85 qt of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F

Or you could try a parti-gyle brew. I did one last year & got 4gal of 1.104 Old Ale/English Barleywine and almost 7 gallons of an English Mild from the same grain bill, though not the grain bill above. I used 20lbs Marris Otter and 2lbs of Crystal 80. Just use the first runnings as your barleywine and the double batch sparge as your mild. You can add molasses (treacle) or Demerara/Turbinado sugar to the barleywine to jack the OG if you like. It's pretty traditional. English yeast is important, at least for an English barleywine. American barleywines seem to be fermented cleaner and with higher hopping rates, though I suppose EKGs wouldn't be out of place. You'd just have to use a boatload.

Chad

I don't think malty is the key for the yeast (it's going to finish with a higher FG anyway) it's the esters from an English yeast strain that you want. I don't have any recipes ready made (though I do plan to do an English barleywine this year), do you have Designing Great Beers? The ratios for the grain bill are pretty simple and he explains the hops well.

Good point, I wasn't thinking straight.:eek:

My Full Owl ESB never turned out right until I got the right yeast

Hmm, it is true that it would be $28 worth of EKG if I had to buy it from Northern brewer or something but I've got it covered. In a way it's a good time to make something special when most folks wouldn't be doing it.

Chad, thanks for the Radical reference.. I have the book and didn't even think to look. I think that's a winner.

Ok, thread resurrection time. I'm brewing this partigyle this coming weekend and I'm likely using 23lbs MO base with 1lb Crystal 80, 1lb Crystal 120. First, anyone think this is too much crystal? Also, does the smaller beer sound to be about right for an ESB? I'll base the hop schedule for both on the actual OGs I measure. I'd shoot for 90IBU on the BW and 30 on the ESB, all EKG. Here's where I'm going completely wrong. I'm using a US-05 yeast cake for both fermented at 70F... Ouch, flame suit on.

I think it's too much crystal. This is a barleywine, it's going to be very malty and sweet, it doesn't need the crystal to help it.

JW Lees barleywine is only MO, no specialty grains at all... you don't have to do anything really creative to make a great barleywine ;)

So here's something else I'm thinking. Mash straight MO for the barleywine and then steep some crystal 80 in the second runnings to darken up the ESB.
That sounds like a pretty good idea to me, although I heard someone mention on another forum doing experiments and feeling like steeped crystal malt is what actually produces "extract twang." It wasn't a very scientific experiment, and I don't think anyone tried to repeat it, but I thought I'd mention it as fair warning.

I like the idea of winging two batches together, sounds like its right up my alley. A little of this, a little of that, voila beer! It is nice to have a set recipe incase one of them turns out to be awesome. Lol... every time you want to make a batch of this barleywine you'll be making another batch of ESB with the 2nd runnings...LOL.

While Beertoolspro doesn't really have a partigyle calculator, I'm pretty sure I've figured out how to do it using 3 recipe files. The first one is a master file containing the entire grain bill and mash/lauter schedule. This is like the sugar management file. I have it set so first runnings is what I plan my BW preboil to be and second runnings to what I want the ESB to be. Then I kick off two new files for each of the beers whereby my grain bill and efficiency setting is what I suspect the OGs will be so that I get the hop schedule into a reasonable range.

It's a little tricky but I think first runnings is going to be about 60% efficiency which I think is typical of a no sparge of this size bill. The ESB is solely based on a single batch sparge and drain which should be about 30% of the total grain potential. Incidentally, this adds up to my typical efficiency of 90%. The truth is, I'm going to modify the recipe on the fly based on the actual OGs I get.

The nice thing about following the barleywine up with a bitter is that if your second runnings come in low, voila you have a special or ordinary bitter!

I'm planning to do a barleywine every year on New Years Day, and I think I love the idea of creating another beer with second runnings on that day. Now I just need to find a place that will sell me EKG hops by the boatload.

Yeah, both the BW and ESB were wonderful. I have a small amount of BW left but it's been scoring in the 38 and 39's in various comps over the past year. The ESB was a good session beer and lasted about 3 weeks. I have the BW recipe posted in the database under "her majesty's pleasure".

Back