Sweet aroma during ferm with us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
I'm taking a whiff of the gases coming out of the airlock and I am smelling some sweet aroma but I can't really describe it. I have been a bit paranoid about the possibility of DMS so my brains keeps telling me that the gases smell like sweet corn. Is there some typical aroma from this yeast during fermination? My ferm temperature is at 62F.

Just relax. If you're worried take a gravity sample and taste it.

That sweet smell is beer fermenting. Just be glad it doesn't smell like sour sulfur.
If it's still early in fermentation just leave it alone and don't go near it with anything.

Depending on what you are brewing, the aroma may be a touch of peach, fermenting with US-05 at 62°F. I like to ferment at 65° to 68°F with US-05 to avoid the peach flavor that can develop in some recipes.

The peach flavor is not bad in all recipes.

I'm brewing a chocolate peanut butter imperial stout.

Btw, I have the temp prob attached to the outside wall of the ferm bucket... That's how I'm measuring the 62F.

Hopefully the peach would be totally masked off.

Chocolate pb? Yeah, I would guess you get some sweetness and would not worry about dms unless you used mostly Pilsner malt or boiled with the lid on.

I'm brewing a chocolate peanut butter imperial stout.

Btw, I have the temp prob attached to the outside wall of the ferm bucket... That's how I'm measuring the 62F.

Hopefully the peach would be totally masked off.

I think the aroma is your recipe, not flavor produced by the yeast. I've never tasted a chocolate peanut butter. May look for a commercial brew for a test.

I think the aroma is your recipe, not flavor produced by the yeast. I've never tasted a chocolate peanut butter. May look for a commercial brew for a test.

I am currently fermenting the base imperial stout in the primary. The chocolate and peanut butter will come later in the secondary.

Chocolate pb? Yeah, I would guess you get some sweetness and would not worry about dms unless you used mostly Pilsner malt or boiled with the lid on.

Yeah I'm definitely not using Pils malts.

I am currently fermenting the base imperial stout in the primary. The chocolate and peanut butter will come later in the secondary.

I would raise the fermentation temperature to 66° to 68°F, if it were my brew. I first noticed the peach flavor in a lightly hopped dry stout. I masked it by adding strong cold brewed coffee to each glass.

I would raise the fermentation temperature to 66° to 68°F, if it were my brew. I first noticed the peach flavor in a lightly hopped dry stout. I masked it by adding strong cold brewed coffee to each glass.

I'll do that when I get home.

I did ferment at that twmperature and the beer has diacetil and metalic taste i think you should increase the twmperature to 67 +- it should be work better

I did ferment at that twmperature and the beer has diacetil and metalic taste i think you should increase the twmperature to 67 +- it should be work better

I've already moved it up to 67F. However, this is after the fifth day of fermination. Do you think it's too late at this point?

I've already moved it up to 67F. However, this is after the fifth day of fermination. Do you think it's too late at this point?

I think, rising the temperature you are doing a diacetil rest, in my opinion you must let over two weeks in primary . the yeast will clean the beer ,problably

I think, rising the temperature you are doing a diacetil rest, in my opinion you must let over two weeks in primary . the yeast will clean the beer ,problably

I'll report what happens. What I love about this forum is that it's like a brewing journal for everyone to view and learn from.

I think any slight, and I mean slight, possible off flavor will be masked by the adjuncts you'll be adding to the secondary. I would worry more about fermentation shutting down any lower than 62F, so 67F is a nice temp to be at.

I checked the airlock this morning and it has slowed down a lot. I'm hoping it fermented the 1.094 OG wort down to the expected 1.024 FG beer. I'll wait until I see no activity in the airlock before I measure the specific gravity.

I wanted to give an update. That sweet aroma is no longer there. It smells very clean now and all I could smell is the "beer". I took a specific gravity measurement and it is currently sitting at 1.030. I started off at like 1.094 so its at ~8.4% right now. I tasted the scooped out beer and it almost tastes like a bitter coffee stout! If there is any DMS in it, it's ABSOLUTELY overpowered by the intrinsic imperial stout flavors. I was expecting this to come down to 1.024 but I don't think it will get there because I accidentally over-heated the partial-mash grains -- but I don't care.

That sweet smell is beer fermenting. Just be glad it doesn't smell like sour sulfur.
If it's still early in fermentation just leave it alone and don't go near it with anything.

I just cracked open my fermentation fridge to have a look at 5 gallons of IPA and 5 gallons of Centennial Blonde that are bubbling away and it smells so good in my garage now, sweet and delicious.

It looked like fermentation was done so I took the primary bucket out of the fermentation chamber and left it out at room temperature (~high 70s). Hydrometer readings seemed like it has settled out at 1.030 and all the krausen was completely gone. Two days later I started seeing the airlock bubble again. So I took the lid off the bucket and I see a bubbles on the surface like another krausen was forming again. Is this abnormal? I hope I'm not seeing a start of an infection. Also, should I put the bucket back into the fermentation chamber? Hydrometer reading shows that it dropped slightly. What should I do? Or is this happening because the beer has warmed up and is degassing?

It looked like fermentation was done so I took the primary bucket out of the fermentation chamber and left it out at room temperature (~high 70s). Hydrometer readings seemed like it has settled out at 1.030 and all the krausen was completely gone. Two days later I started seeing the airlock bubble again. So I took the lid off the bucket and I see a bubbles on the surface like another krausen was forming again. Is this abnormal? I hope I'm not seeing a start of an infection. Also, should I put the bucket back into the fermentation chamber? Hydrometer reading shows that it dropped slightly. What should I do? Or is this happening because the beer has warmed up and is degassing?

what do you mean by the hydrometer seemed like it was stable? is this over three days and it hasn't moved from 1.030?

the bubbles are just off-gassing. it's fine. just leave it alone and let it finish its job.

what do you mean by the hydrometer seemed like it was stable? is this over three days and it hasn't moved from 1.030?

the bubbles are just off-gassing. it's fine. just leave it alone and let it finish its job.

Hydrometer readings were at 1.030 for three days and the surface of the beer was clear. Then all of a sudden it started up again. I figure if it was degassing, it wouldn't have waited until the third day to do this.

Latest posts

Back