Haven't seen this yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaymzJaymz

Reaction score
Here's a new one on me I'd like to ask my fellow brewers on this forum about. There are probably other threads that may explain this, so please excuse my redundancy. The particulars of my latest batch are: OG 1.076, yeast WLP001, fermentation temp 66 degrees constant. After a couple of days of vigorous fermention through the blow off tube, I attached an airlock. For the next 24+ hours there was a steady stream of bubbles, but then( after about 30 hours total), the krausen began to blow out the air lock. I reattached the blowoff tube for another day until it calmed down. Any thoughts? The only time I've ever had any thing like this happen is when additional fermentables, namely fruit, are added to the secondary. The fermentation temp never varied. Thanks!

I'd say with a high OG and an aggressive yeast (not familiar with 007) the blowoff action could last 3-4, maybe even 5 days? So I don't think this is too unusual. You would've been fine leaving the blowoff tube for 5-6 days, on any brew, just to be sure.
After my blowoffs calm down a bit, I usually angle the tube up a bit near the end of it and add a little sanitizer into the tube, and it will bubble just like an airlock

Also, you'll want to raise the temp after day 5-6-or 7, for a mini "diacytel rest", esp with an English strain

Please accept my appology. My typo is now corrected above. The yeast is WLP001. Sorry about that! ncbrewer, no there wasn't a spike in temp. TastyAdventure, please elabotarate on your recommended diacytel rest. Was it because I gave the wrong yeast number? Thanks!

Regardless of strain diacytel rests are a good idea. True diacytel rests are something you hear people talk about with lagers, but ales definitely benefit from it. Near the end of active fermentation (day 4-6) you raise the temp anywhere between 3-6 degrees (more if a lager strain). Firstly, and most importantly with a higher OG beer, this increase in temp helps keep the yeast active longer, and get a little more aggressive to attenuate the beer lower. Secondly it encourages yeast to "clean up after themselves" by absorbing the gross diacytel which is a natural by product of any fermentation.

Here is the latest, after letting it go another 2 days with the blowoff tube(with only the slightest discharge), I reattached the airlock and saw bubbles every 10 seconds or so, but after 2 days with the airlock I checked and there was once again beer going into the airlock. This was, of course, even more of a surprise than the first time. This time I simply put on another airlock, and it's been fine since with bubbles every 20 seconds or so, as if it was nearing the end of primary fermentation( rightly after 11 days). Here's a thought, is it possible it got too cold?!! On the day of the last foamy airlock I accidently let the beer get down to 62-64 degrees., but wouldn't that have done the opposite? This is the first time I've ever made the same beer twice in a row. Identicle except for using Clarity Ferm in this batch, and washed yeast from the first batch. None of this happened on the first batch. Any thoughts on this latest chapter? Thanks to all.

I guess the large amount of yeast pitched has something to do with it. The temp lowering a little my have lowered activity for a little bit, and then maybe it got aggressive again after you raised it. Regardless, I think you don't need to be worried about the flavor of the finished product, which is really all that matters

Okay, friends, here's the latest chapter. One week ago I racked into a C02 purged secondary containing dry hops. After one week the hops are still at the top of the beer. The main point of this thread is that this is the first time I've ever brewed the same beer twice in a row(I may have mentioned this already). Exact same grain bill, identical hops from the same supplier, same yeast, ect.... Why is this latest "difference" happening? In the first batch the hops fell into the beer in a couple of days. This batch has been a real experience! Please let me know what think. Hydrometer read 1.013 at the time of transfer. OG was 1.076.

Hydrometer read 1.013 at the time of transfer. OG was 1.076.

Sounds like a nice beer on the way, I would guess all else is just what it is. Floating hops can be attributed to CO2 or because you held your tongue the wrong way. The beer gods have had their way with you. If it's a good beer, thank them by raising a glass in their honour

Thanks brother, the first batch was the best beer I've ever made. I don't know if that's saying much since it's just a hop bomb with decent alcohol. I also got totally anal about fermentation temp, purging everything with CO2, ect... Thats why I wanted to try it again. If my SG was 1.013 at transferring, would there still be enough C02 to keep the hops at the beers surface?(Beersmith says my projected FG is 1.11, so I'm real close). Did I transfer just a bit too early?

Back