amico 40A SSR are trash!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emyers

Reaction score
Ive been trying to figure out why the heck my 5500w legs were sticking on after a few seconds of 100% on. After some DMM testing and talking with my electrical engineer buddy i decided to look at the recent reviews. Seems like these amico 40a modules are bogus when you put a 20+ amp load on them. The 40A relays worked fine on the 3500w leg and the 20A amico's work great for the 3500w as well. I would actually recommend the 20A Amicos. Just dont buy the 40w ones. Also as mentioned in the reviews be sure to apply thermal paste between the heatsink and SSR's and dont be a ******* like me and buy the two tube thermal epoxy.

http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Single-...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

i've got 2 in my control panel. one works great (hlt) the other sticks 'on'. p.i.t.a! its taken me so long to put my system together, i'm not sure i can return them

Knock on wood - I just installed a pair of 40 amp modules but will only be running them at 13 amps (1500 watts). They were a buck more than the 20 amp ones and I figured no sense in pushing a smaller one.

at that low amps you should be ok. It seems its only around 20+ amps that they stick. Good luck to you both!

i'd say its actually less. i have a 4500w element on my 40a module that's 18.75a. its the boil kettle one. its not killing me, but its certainly a p.i.a

Hopefully the 4 25amp models that are on their way from amazon don't have the same issue.

If you don't have an amperage meter on your panel how do you tell if they "stick" on? (I don't have a meter)

i don't have an amp meter either, my sticky one is on my boil kettle, and i notice that the boil continues even when i switch 'off' that element.

Well one of my 2 40 amp SSRs died 2 minutes in... Won't turn on anymore. Was running at 13 amps when it died. junk they are. I have 3 25 amp modules on order.

I just created an amazon return, i had to contact them via chat but they will refund beyond the 30 day policy. Just explain how this is a fire and electrocution hazard and they don’t operate as described.

i have 2 of them and working fine so far... i run 15 and 20 amps through them (i use it on 2 different setups)

Did you buy them off amazon? I suspect only the amazon ones are bootleg.

Ive been trying to figure out why the heck my 5500w legs were sticking on after a few seconds of 100% on. After some DMM testing and talking with my electrical engineer buddy i decided to look at the recent reviews. Seems like these amico 40a modules are bogus when you put a 20+ amp load on them. The 40A relays worked fine on the 3500w leg and the 20A amico's work great for the 3500w as well. I would actually recommend the 20A Amicos. Just dont buy the 40w ones. Also as mentioned in the reviews be sure to apply thermal paste between the heatsink and SSR's and dont be a ******* like me and buy the two tube thermal epoxy.

http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Single-...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I wonder if the heat sink is large enough for 40 Amps? 40 Amps through a SSR dissipates about 40 watts of heat & that's quite a bit for the heat sink I saw on the Amazon listing without a fan blowing across for cooling.

Back