High OG bottles not carbonating after 2 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gallon batch of black IPA OG 1.091, FG 1.023
15.5 lbs marris otter
1 lb Crystal 60L
1lb of Carafa II

and a 2L starter of London Ale yeast

It was in the primary for 2 weeks and secondary for 1 week. I bottled using Cane sugar (4.2oz).

The bottles have been stored at around 70F for 2 months and when I opened a bottle tonight (after it had been in the fridge for 3 days) there was not even a little hiss when I opened it. There is zero carbonation.

There is a little bit of yeast at the bottom of the bottle, so I know that I didn't lose all of the yeast in the primary and secondary.

Any suggestions? Should I just leave them and wait a few more months?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Give it more time. Did you stir the priming sugar into the beer well? Sometimes if you don't you will get a few bottles that are flat. If it doesnt't carb up at after a month you could thinking of kegging the batch.

I would like to add that I also have the exact same issue but I'm going on 4 months. My OG was even higher at 1.105 and down to 1.022. I did however have luck with the beers that I aged on bourbon soaked oak, red wine soaked oak and tequila soaked oak. When I used priming sugar with those brews, they carbed up perfectly. I'm guessing I didn't use enough priming sugar for the regular bottles?? It was a small one gallon batch so I scaled back to slightly over 1/8 cup of corn syrup. Wondering if I open up the bottles, age on bourbon soaked oak and re-bottle if that will be okay? Will it need new yeast? FYI, this is only about my 10th extract batch so I'm still kind of new to this.

Thanks

Yes I did mix it up very well. I'm positive that I added the mixture as well. I am going to let it go a few more months before i pop them and add to the a keg. This is definitely my last bottle batch. Now that I have the kegs they will be the only way I go.

I'm just afraid that the beer will get oxidized if i pop the bottles and add to the keg.

I opened a bottle of this yesterday and it was finally carbonated. It was actually over carbed. Tastes great though. It has lost some of the hoppiness from the age but it is great. I recommend this beer to anyone who preferres coffee flavored black ipa's

ForumRunner_20130116_103307.png

Latest posts

Back