Beer places in Israel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegerm

Reaction score
My girlfriend's family is from Israel, so we're going out there for a couple of weeks in the middle of May. We'll be all over the small country to visit her family and for me we'll be seeing some sights. In the downtime I'd like to find some beer bars or brewpubs or whatever beer places might be worth seeing. So far I've seen that Dancing Camel seems to be the biggest deal in tel aviv.

Anybody have any other recommendations for having a pint or 4 of craft beer in Israel?

The Brewery in Tel Aviv:
Food was decent. German dishes. Sausage and schnitzel plates. Beer was disappointing to me. A range of lagers. I had their bock and golden lager. The bock reminded me of anchor bock, which I don't like. Too roasty and estery. The golden lager also tasted more like an estery pale ale.

Golan Brewery in Katzrin:
Best beers I had in israel. The amber was great. Also sampled the pilsner, which definitely tasted excellent, and the bock was also a fine example of the style. If you find yourself in the golan heights, which not many people do, I wouldn't think, go here if you can, or seek out these beers elsewhere while in the country.

Israeli domestic mass market beers:
Maccabee: Classic American Pilsner. It was good, fresh, unoxidated and not skunked despite green bottle. More flavor than a light lager, but not by a ton.
Goldstar: American Dark Lager. Fine example of the style. Fresh and unoxidated. Some good caramel, hint of munich, a little too carbed. My preference when the choice is between this, maccabee, heinekin, bud, etc.

Other beer notes:
They also sell a lot of weihenstephan hefe on tap in israel, but it's terrible and oxidized. At least at the beach bars in tel aviv. Stick to israeli domestics like goldstar while on the beach, imo.

Back