A bottle tree that cleans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
So I'm formulating a plan for a bottle tree that sanitizes my bottle via a submersible pump up threw 3/4" pvc or cpvc. I think it will really help cut a ton of time out of my bottling day.
The plan so far is: i will use a pale ale bucket with a lid that has the pvc shaft, at around 6ft in length, coming out the top. The branches will be 1/4" pvc that have a right turn in them and lead up to cap with small slit in it. The slit is used to spray the bottle. The submersible pump will be in the bucket sucking up the sanitizer.

What do you think? How many horsepower should the pump be and/or gallons per minute to generate enough pressure?
Thanks guys

Interesting idea. When the fluid cascades out of the bottle, how are you going to keep it confined to an area that it will eventually flow back into the pump bucket?
Also, are you going to incorporate a "45" elbow on the branches to angle the pvc up to hang the bottles?

Interesting idea. When the fluid cascades out of the bottle, how are you going to keep it confined to an area that it will eventually flow back into the pump bucket?
Also, are you going to incorporate a "45" elbow on the branches to angle the pvc up to hang the bottles?

no i think i will use a 90 on each branch so they are vertical. I was trying to think of that maybe use a larger brute bucket instead of a pale ale.

You can most probably get away with a little 1/4 hp or 1/5 hp dewatering pump. There shouldn't be too much in the way of total dynamic head since it's only going to be pumping up a few feet. The toughest part of your build is going to be finding some 1/4" pvc, I work for a plumbing wholesaler and the stuff is pretty rare.

Just noticed your quote Noodle, great movie!

"Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie but I'd never know because I wouldn't eat the filthy motherf*&^ers."

You can most probably get away with a little 1/4 hp or 1/5 hp dewatering pump. There shouldn't be too much in the way of total dynamic head since it's only going to be pumping up a few feet. The toughest part of your build is going to be finding some 1/4" pvc, I work for a plumbing wholesaler and the stuff is pretty rare.

Thanks! I bought a 1/2hp pump this morning. So now I'm thinking that i can probably beef up the tubing to 1" trunk and 1/2" limbs if they can fit in the mouths of the bottles.

I don't think 1/2" PVC will fit inside the bottle's mouth since the O.D. of 1/2 PVC is roughly 7/8". You may have better luck with some 1/2" CPVC which is a little bit smaller then the PVC (copper tube size vs. iron pipe size).

I agree then it wont fit. I will check out cpvc or go back to my original idea and use 1/4" and search high and low for it.

I would be worried about the bottles flying off.

Please video tape the first trial run, full pressure on the pump.

I was thinking about that was well. I might put a valve on it to maybe build it up slowly

I believe this was already tried on the DIY forum. Maybe research the Bottle Tree thread. I will see if I can search it as well and link in. If I remember right ... it was a failure due to loss of pressure wiht all the holes in the tree.

Back