Moment of silence please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainoverspray

Reaction score
today I lost a member of my brewery. While cleaning my six gallon carboy it jumped out of my hands and exploded on the floor. She was young and only had a few batches under her belt. I am going to miss that girl.

I pay my regards in hopes that you also send a prayer out for a member of mine. Monday night I lost one of my own carboys that I had just filled with a beautiful batch of sweet, delectable porter.

I was right there when the glass began to crack, but alas I could not save her.

I feel your loss

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family as well. I was getting mine ready for a planned CDA on saturday.

Thank God she didn't take anybody with her. Better Bottles are a perfect mourning gift.

At least there has been no mention of blood! I don't think I'll ever own a glass carboy unless I get one free. And If I did I would find a place for it and never move it!

I was cooling it down and somewhere around maybe 100-120F I transferred to carboy and then lowered into ice bath to continue cooling. I thought the glass could withstand these temps and I was looking to free up the pot I had for cooling so I could cool the final 1.5 gallons.

Guess the strain was more than she could bear

I dont feel that better bottles are the end all solution. They are weak and if you move them with liquid they will suck in anything in the air lock. I have both but prefer glass as I know it's smooth on the interior with no scratches. For long term storage, glass is the only way to go. IMO

Thank you for your condolences. I have a better bottle, but I almost never use it. It gets a film on the inside that I feel is hard to clean with a carboy brush so I never feel that they are truly clean.

you need to buy handles for every one of your glass carboys.

+1

cboyhandle__49491_zoom.jpg

Back