Belgian Dubbel Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTower

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a Belgian Dubbel based on Brewsmith's recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/belgian-dubbel-21477/

I increased the caramunich and Special B per Brewsmith's recommendations by half a pound each. I'm also using a Trappist Ale yeast instead of a golden ale because I want more plum/fruit notes. This is my first belgian-style beer and really my first foray outside of California Ale/Nottingham's yeast.

My questions:
1) When I plug this into my program (Brewtarget) it gives me a color of almost 32 SRM, and I have no idea where this is coming from. Is it the increase in caramunich or Special B? My program also doesn't have belgian aromatic or belgian biscuit listed, just the basic versions, is there a significant difference?

2) My understanding is that higher fermentation temperatures will increase the fruit characteristics of this yeast. Is that correct?

3) Can american 2-row be substituted for belgian 2-row if the LHBS doesn't have the belgian variety.

Finally, anything else I should keep in mind with this style or this yeast? Any and all help is appreciated, this is being made for a family gathering so I really want to nail it.

the answers are..

1). There is no way that it will be that dark with the grain bill you have.

2) Never used that yeast, but yes the fruity funkyflavor will inrease with the higher temps

3). Sure it can be substituted. The taste difference wil be so slight that you will not taste the difference and still will make good beer.

go have a good brew day.

Back