Tap handle making, stumped...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
How the blazes do you get that threaded adaptor in straight??????? I drill pressed the holes and screwed the adaptors in, Every handle has a slightly different, but equally annoying lean to it. :confused:

Here is what i want them to look like
224159_660814810058_39700867_34938410_3101202_n.jpg

In my experience it's impossible to get the threaded adapters in straight. And I've made around 100 of them.

You could try press-in or glue-in adapters. They should go in straighter.

-Joe

1. Chuck a threaded rod (or a bolt with the head cut off) with the same thread as the inside of the insert into the drill press.
  2. Put the insert on the threaded rod, use a stop nut if necessary to keep the insert at the end of the threaded rod.
  3. Clamp the already drilled block in your drill press vise (or build a jig to hold them upright).
  4. If using a jig, clamp it to the drill press table in position under the chuck.
  5. UNPLUG the drill press.
  6. Turn the drill press by hand while applying some downward force with the handle.
  7. Send me a beer. ;)

I started with six. Router ate one, This one turned out ever so slightly crooked.....

227759_661240477018_39700867_34942318_3619137_n.jpg

i think these threaded adaptors are a bad idea. I think i can buy a threaded rod, Rip these threads out and glue the adaptor back in. threading two units together to true the hole?

All of them in at the same time strangly looks ok.....? Same lean on each from the press?

222739_661245851248_39700867_34942480_3402934_n.jpg

Planning to have buisness card sized interchangable lables in a plexi glass holder on each one.

You could try leaving yourself some overhang on all sides and then re-cutting to square based on the angle at which the adapter went in?

If you can put the threaded adapter in far enough, then use some threaded rod to create a jig to cut it.

Think about the last time you were in a bar with multiple tap handles. Did ANY of them look straight (even before you started drinking)?

How about just drilling a hole so the insert will drop in and putting a dab of epoxy to hold it in place.:fro:

Back