Dry hopping with pellets.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdeck02

Reaction score
Would it be better to use a hop sock for my pellets or just chunk them into my primary naked for the last two weeks of it's two week ferm? Should they settle to the bottom without issue after some time? I had a hell of a time getting my sock of whole hops out of the carboy last go round . Is there any issue with dry hopping in primary? Seems like I've heard of folks on here doing it without issue, but I want some reassurance.

I just tossed them in last time and had a a few issues transferring to the keg because the racking cane got clogged.

I did the same thing again yesterday, this time I've going to use a sanitized grain bag over the racking cane to filter the hops.

I always just chuck 'em in, leaf or pellet. I haven't had any luck with using a bag over the racking cane, as it seems to clog, but I am pretty proficient at racking without clogging up my siphon when dryhopping. Much of the pellet hops debris drops to the bottom while some float a bit. I just start my siphon in the middle, and lower the racking cane as the level of the beer drops. It may take some practice, but it seems to work well for me!

I throw them nakey in the primary and then cold crash. They settle very well that way.

I too just toss them in. I just racked a dryhopped IPA to bottle yesterday and had no hops at all in the bottling bucket, and that was about 4 oz of hop pellets!. All I do is wrap the end of my syphon with a small piece of a mesh bag.

I too just toss them in. I just racked a dryhopped IPA to bottle yesterday and had no hops at all in the bottling bucket, and that was about 4 oz of hop pellets!. All I do is wrap the end of my syphon with a small piece of a mesh bag.

how do you keep the mesh bag on the end of the racking cane?

I wrap my hop bag around the end of my siphon tubing that sits in the bottling bucket.

I toss the bag in sanitizer along with a rubberband while getting set up, then slide the bag on the tubing and wrap the top of the bag with the rubberband a few times. I leave the bag loose around the end of the tube, not tight against the end, to keep from clogging. If you have a lot of hops in the wort, make sure you leave enough bag free to catch all the gunk.

I wrap my hop bag around the end of my siphon tubing that sits in the bottling bucket.

I toss the bag in sanitizer along with a rubberband while getting set up, then slide the bag on the tubing and wrap the top of the bag with the rubberband a few times. I leave the bag loose around the end of the tube, not tight against the end, to keep from clogging. If you have a lot of hops in the wort, make sure you leave enough bag free to catch all the gunk.

Rubberband, gotcha. Thats what I was wondering about. I was afraid to use one because I was imagining somehow the taste of rubber getting into my delicious beer.

I have had problems with a bag over the end of my auto-siphon (clogging), so now I just line the bottling bucket with a jumbo size grain bag, folding it over the top of the bucket and securing with a bungee cord around the outside. After racking, I just lift out the bag with the pellet hop residue. I boil the bag first to sanitize it.

I just throw them in naked through the "bung hole" in my ale pail, let those hops do their thing for about 3-4 days, cold crash and rack with a mesh bag zip-tied onto my auto-siphon. No problems

DeafSmith said:
I have had problems with a bag over the end of my auto-siphon (clogging), so now I just line the bottling bucket with a jumbo size grain bag, folding it over the top of the bucket and securing with a bungee cord around the outside. After racking, I just lift out the bag with the pellet hop residue. I boil the bag first to sanitize it.

I think I like this iras best. Do you remember the dimensions of the grain bag you use?

Since I dry hop in primary,The lid on my Cooper's FV is large enough to use hop sacks & get'em in-n-out easy. No extra floating/swirling gunk to worry about. Nice clean,clear brew.

This is exactly what I do (except I attach the bag with a ziptie) and I never have any problems.

Since I dry hop in primary,The lid on my Cooper's FV is large enough to use hop sacks & get'em in-n-out easy. No extra floating/swirling gunk to worry about. Nice clean,clear brew.

Do you think this inhibits the effect of dryhopping at all?

Do you think this inhibits the effect of dryhopping at all?

Not really,no. I wanted the dry hop in my Summer Pale ale (avatar) to be truer to style for an English malt-forward type ale. So I only dry hopped with 1oz Willamette for 7 days. I'll tell ya what...that bit about dry hopping starting to dissipate after 5 weeks or so may not be entirely true. 3 weeks at 70F,then 5-6 days in the fridge made the hop flavors/aromas from the late addition & dry hop come out more. It seems like,at least for the late hop addition,to need more time for the overall malt/hop balance to mellow out before aroma/flavor hop additions come out the way intended.
I know that may not make sense to some,or go against teachings to others,but that's what I'm getting. But dry hoping for 10 days or more may be a little better,depending on the style being brewed.

Back