Stuck Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanfriz

Reaction score
I did my first AG about 3 weeks ago. 6lb chocolate wheat and 4lb pilsner. OG was 1.042. Fermentation started strong for about 72 hours and then slowed down to almost nothing. I didn’t get to excited until it stopped completely, at FG 1.022. I re-pitched the same yeast, Nottingham(not the 11/2012 batch) after 4 days and nothing. So I went and got some yeast nutrients and pitched for a third time (Nottingham) and nothing. The temp is between 62-64F constantly. I could warm it up but I chose Nottingham because it’s supposed to work down to 58F. Its been stuck at 1.022 for a week and there is no sign of life.

60% chocolate wheat? Yowza. I'm surprised it even fermented 20 points. Chocolates are roasted malts, and as such are relatively unfermentable. Most imperial stouts call for about a pound of roast malt. This is going to be black like soot. Have you tasted it yet?

Entirely too much roast, and roast = unfermentable. Your fermentation is finished, but you have something that will most likely be fairly undrinkable.

That's what I was thinking. And yeah it tastes like watered down strong coffee with some hops in it. Guess I learned my lesson. Sucks I got to dump my first AG but glad I got set strait so it won't happen again

I'm assuming this is a 5 gallon batch. 22 points per lb (choc or pilsner) is quite low. You might want to check your process before next time. Probably most of the sugars came from the chocolate as they are already converted. Maybe it was just too dilute for the enzymes from the Pilsner.

Anyway; as previously said, you are done, there are a lot of unfermentables in Chocolate..

Back