Hard Water/ sanatizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollinred

Reaction score
I usually pride myself in how well doing a little research works, but for some reason I failed miserably this time.

I am having issues with the star-san because a few minutes after mixing a batch it turns cloudy. This is obviously an issue with hard water affecting the solution because I have used distilled water and it lasted for a few hours before getting cloudy.

I am just wondering, without using chlorine, if there is a sanitizer not affected by hard water. I was getting low on star-san so I ordered a bottle of BTF but I am under the suspicion that BTF will also be affected by hard water.

What I've started doing is buying distilled water for star-san. I mix up a batch in a home-depot bucket and then just put the lid on it when done. I keep using the same batch until its gone. I'm pretty sure that with distilled water, it will last for a really really long time.

Ok, one thing you need to know, is that if you mix it fresh and it turns cloudy, that doesn't mean it is not working, or that the ph has changed. It's if your starsan is mixed clear, then turns cloudy after a few hours or days, THEN the PH has changed and it's no longer uselful. Many of us have water that turns starsan cloudy immediately, but it is still working. You just use itn quickly.

There was a thread on hear a couple years ago where someone tested it with PH strips, and came to that conclusion that freshly mixed starsan is still viable if it mixes cloudy.

You can do the distilled mixing if you want, I do that in a spray bottle for spot sanitizing. But I still mix a couple gallons of tap water starsan on brewing or bottling day.

Relax or get some PH strips and test for yourself.

I have incredibly hard water and mine turns instantly cloudy; I mean just about totally opaque. I emailed five stars and here was there response:

"If the solution turns cloudy it is starting to go bad. The surfactant is coming out of solution. If you use DI water from the store, it won’t happen. If you use the cloudy solution, you should be fine, but don’t let it sit for a too long. Over time it will continue to get worse and not be effective.

John"

I have used distilled water and it usually does not cloud right away, but I still get some clouding after a few hours. I assume that is because I do a lot of sanitizing on brew day and it is only a 2.5 gallon batch.

I know that I should have PH test strips and will get some.

My question was if BTF is affected by minerals in water like the star san is? In a way I like that star san gives and indicator that you should at least test it. It sounds like iodiphor does not give indicators like this and that I would almost need a PH strip if it is affected by mineral.

No iodopher doesn't get cloudy, but I don't think you are supposed to keep it for long periods like star san. I think you mix it up, use it and toss it. I have heard that its good as long as it maintains its amber color.

No iodopher doesn't get cloudy, but I don't think you are supposed to keep it for long periods like star san. I think you mix it up, use it and toss it. I have heard that its good as long as it maintains its amber color.

Nope, didn't mix it up. I throw out my star-san anyway. With mine clouding up like that so quickly and never finding a chance to get some PH strips I just toss it.

As I expected it doesn't seem like it is common knowledge as to whether iodophor is affected by minerals in the water. I may have to see if I can contact the manufacturer.

No, sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant you mix the iodopher with water, use it, and then toss it. IOW, you can't store it like starsan and it stay effective long term.

I'm fairly confident that iodopher is not affected by the minerals in your water. I have super hard water that instantly clouds starsan totally opaque, but my iodopher mixture looks just fine (translucent amber) and has successfully sanitized every time.

No, sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant you mix the iodopher with water, use it, and then toss it. IOW, you can't store it like starsan and it stay effective long term.

I'm fairly confident that iodopher is not affected by the minerals in your water. I have super hard water that instantly clouds starsan totally opaque, but my iodopher mixture looks just fine (translucent amber) and has successfully sanitized every time.

Good.

Sounds like I may have made the right choice to get the iodopher this time. Even though I have made successful batches before with star-san. I prefer to not chance an infection as I believe I have had some in the past with star-san.

I use only RO water with Star San. It remains crystal clear. Since I use a spray bottle, the cost of using RO water to mix SS is insignificant, since I just don't use that much.

That's my plan now as well. I can't trust whether its working in my hard water without ph stips. I'll just go to RO and that way I can use it over and over.

Back