Another stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickster51

Reaction score
About a month ago I brewed a cream stout exactly a month ago. Due to some dire circumstances I had to move the brew to another location a week ago, and was just now able to get a gravity reading since post-boil. It's at 1.022 after a month. Doh! It isn't infected, so that's a plus. I plan on repitching an 11.5 gram package of safale-05 ASAP.

Anything else I can do? I hope to get it bottled as soon as I get a constant gravity reading.

Hopefully this ends up a "Oh look what my beer lived through " story....

Is it an extract batch? If so, I wouldn't bother with more yeast, it may not ferment down much more than that.

What was your OG?

yes extract batch, original was 1.048, it's supposed to end between 1.012 and 1.018... think it's close enough?

Extracts for whatever reason won't ferment as complete as all grain batches. Your beer will be sweet, but it won't be undrinkable by any means. Barring infection, if you don't like it, I'll pay for the postage.

You can add some yeast and see if it does something. There's so little left to do it's not going to do much to flavor so it's really your choice.

It's a tough pill to swallow because you feel like a failure or whatever if your yeasts act like a giant vagina, but RDWHAHB and just drink 50% more than you normally would and you'll still get drunk.

While 22 is high for an FG it is by no means unacceptable. Don't f@#$ with the beer and just go with it.

Pitching any additional yeast/starters at full krausen could alter the flavor. If you are happy with the way it tastes, then bottle/keg it and move on.

Back