Poor Richards Ale Age in a bourban cask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zweasel

Reaction score
This weekend I was up north in Roscommon, Mi for the annual Michigan State Fire Fighters Memorial weekend. I had taken a 5 gallon batch of Poor Richards Ale, while sitting around the camp fire with a lot of us drinking the ale and other, a discussion came about on how to brew the Poor Richards Ale. One of the questions that came from the discussion was how would Poor Richards Ale finish if it were aged in a Bourbon cask? I’m thinking about trying to finish this way but I would like to find out if anyone and finished Poor Richards this way?:mug:

zweasel said:
This weekend I was up north in Roscommon, Mi for the annual Michigan State Fire Fighters Memorial weekend. I had taken a 5 gallon batch of Poor Richards Ale, while sitting around the camp fire with a lot of us drinking the ale and other, a discussion came about on how to brew the Poor Richards Ale. One of the questions that came from the discussion was how would Poor Richards Ale finish if it were aged in a Bourbon cask? I’m thinking about trying to finish this way but I would like to find out if anyone and finished Poor Richards this way?:mug:

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but what is Poor Richard's? :eek:

I think it's a recipe that was published about a year or so. It's some old style recipe that was supposed to replicate brewing in colonial times. I want to say in was in BYO or some publication like that. I think there was a thread here about it.

I just read the recipe for Poor Richard's Ale in the thread that Brewsmith posted. It sounds interesting.

Those of you who've made it, how did you like it? Did you make it more than once?

Fantastic stuff! It was the first time I've used much corn and I liked the flavor. I'll be making it again. I suspect it would age well in a bourbon barrel.

I will try this one soon. Not my next brew, I think, but soon. I like Old Ales, at least if Fuller's 1845 is representative of the type.

Back