Caught The All Grain Bug!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first all grain brew is in the secondary fermentor as I type. My first A.G. is a Gumball Head clone. It is a wheat beer from Three Floyds Brewing Company in Munster Indiana. I used 4 ounces of Amirillo hops. makes me thirsty just typing it. I think I went a little crazy from this first all grain. I didnt have my exact fermentation temperature. I was a few degrees off. So I bought a Johnson Controls A419 temperature control unit. I have a probe that goes into the beer. You set your target temp. on the digital display. It will control either a heater or a cooler. You propgram when you want it to kick on the heat or the cooler based on your setting.
I also acquired a 15.5 gallon keg. It was sitting on my back porch for six months. So i used a plasma cutter to cut a hole in the top. So now it is a 15.5 gallon brew kettle. My old 7 gallon pot will now just be for getting my strike and sparge water up to temp. I thought about upgrading my cooler mash tun into a steel mash tun, but decided on being able to do bigger batches was better. Not to mention the fact that I would have to monitor my 7 gallon kettle for boil overs. Well no longer. I guess I have caught the all grain bug.
On my first A.G. I managed to hit my Original gravity. I cracked a huge smile when I took the reading after brewing for 5 hours. Made me feel a little easier when you get the right results. My strike temperature was also spot on based on the calculations i plugged in. I also figured out my grain absorption which was 1.44 gallons of water absorbed into the grain. The calculators default setting was 0.12 gal/lb. which came out to be 1.4 gallons based on 12 pounds of grain. Math is great when you can actually use it in such a great way!

Math is great when you can actually use it in such a great way!

My dad caught me hand-calculating a recipe on a family vacation a few weeks ago (no brewing software with me and working through Ray Daniels book). A little later he saw me looking at sugar molecular models and said, "we couldn't get you to lift a science book in high school"!!!

Maybe they should lower the drinking/brewing age and we have a few more mensa members wandering around...

Congrats on the switch and success of the first AG brew!

I have done six or seven extract brews in the last year and been picking up equipment piece by piece off friends and other random places. I am also doing my first year hop grow. Six different kinds. Been getting insect damage but not to worried about yeilding anything. First year is primarily for root growth. Though next year I will take steps to protect them. I live in Bloomington Indiana. The varieties grow well in my climate.

Back