cleaning the cloth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I just made mozzarella for the first time and the curd was not very good so I just used the cheese cloth to drain it. Now how in the hell am I supposed to get the cloth clean? :confused:

Its also apparently fine (by my experimentation) to just throw it in a normal wash cycle, then rinse the hell out of it before using it again. YMMV, but it gets me clean cheesecloth and no off flavors in the next batch from detergent or old cheese particles.

I also throw my cleaned cheesecloth into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes to sanitize it prior to using it. This helps to strip away any residual detergent that may be clinging to the cloth.

You can also add 1/4 cup of vinegar to your rinse cycle in the washer to strip away detergent residue which may remain. Works great for black or dark clothing at getting rid of the white marks or stains that might remain.

Salute! :mug:

Back