Half-assed Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
I just made my wheat beer and tried to do a mash so as to get some more flavors from the 3# of grain that i was originally going to steep. used the cloth bags in the strainer that i bought and did the step mash 120 for a time, 150 for a time and 158 for another amount of time. Then strained over a pot and washed with 170 degree water.

Promash said with just my extract i should have had a SG of 1.050. So i added my grains and changed the efficency rating in there to 74 and DING.....turns out doing it half assed my SG was 1.066 so that turns out to be 74% efficiency! not bad for a first timer with less than normal equipment.

Cool! That's pretty high w/o recirculation of any kind.

For PM efficiency calculating, make sure you pick the exact brand of malt extract you are using so the extract OG part of the calculation is right. I'm not calling ya a liar, just sharing an experience that I once had. I've found out the potential values across different brands differ greatly.

Well, i took my initial wort and ran it through my grains again if that is what you mean.

Back