Diy loc line ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelspin

Reaction score
I've seen guys using Loc Line for their sparge arms and think it's a great idea.

However, getting hold of Loc Line in my neck of the woods is a real pain and/or real expensive.

Does anyone have any ideas for making their own adjustable sparge arm that works like Loc Line.

I've tried zip tying coat hanger wire onto some silicone tubing with disappointing results.

Any other ideas out there ?

You could try this stuff which is sold as "flexible coolant pipe", and has threads compatible with 1/2" NPT. Less than $5.

http://amzn.to/YacFx3

ux_a12091800ux0059_ux_c.jpg

I have to pose a question... Is Lock-line or Flexible coolant line really that great of a deal? From guys that have used it for extended times they say it doesn't last more than a year of brewing. Most of these are not intended for food contact. That being the case, what will be leaching out of the plastic as you mash. Most of these lock lines are rated only to about 150*F. Much less than the 168*F mash out temps that many brewers hold. If these are degrading to the point of failure in just a YEAR, and most brewers only brew once or twice a month at most... That tells me that these things degrade pretty quickly which would also mean they are leaching a massive amount of crap into your hot wort!
If I could make a suggestion, why not go with a silicone tube wrapped around the top of the grainbed and recirulate/sparge with that? Silicone is food safe.

Retracted...

I have to pose a question... Is Lock-line or Flexible coolant line really that great of a deal? From guys that have used it for extended times they say it doesn't last more than a year of brewing. Most of these are not intended for food contact. That being the case, what will be leaching out of the plastic as you mash. Most of these lock lines are rated only to about 150*F. Much less than the 168*F mash out temps that many brewers hold. If these are degrading to the point of failure in just a YEAR, and most brewers only brew once or twice a month at most... That tells me that these things degrade pretty quickly which would also mean they are leaching a massive amount of crap into your hot wort!
If I could make a suggestion, why not go with a silicone tube wrapped around the top of the grainbed and recirulate/sparge with that? Silicone is food safe.

I've been using the same white loc-line for about 3 years with no signs of degradation. Loc-line most certainly is food safe.

Qouted from Loc-line website:

Q: Is Loc-Line safe for food contact?
A: The material used to manufacture Loc-Line is an acetal copolymer. This material, in accordance to the rules 21 CFR 177.2470, meets the requirements of this regulation for aqueous food contact. Not applicable for fatty foods and alcohol. All colorants are used at the recommended let-down ratio and meet 21 CFR 178-3297 for food contact.

Temperature Specifications:
Melting Point: 329°F
Maximum Operating Temperature: 170°F

I've seen guys using Loc Line for their sparge arms and think it's a great idea.

However, getting hold of Loc Line in my neck of the woods is a real pain and/or real expensive.

Does anyone have any ideas for making their own adjustable sparge arm that works like Loc Line.

I've tried zip tying coat hanger wire onto some silicone tubing with disappointing results.

Any other ideas out there ?

Pick up Bobby's Loc-Line sparge arm kit from BrewHardware, a couple of different configurations at a fair price.

http://brewhardware.com/accessories/114-mashtube

Theirs were blue and orange as shown. That may not mean much, but I think you may be on to something...

Any idea if they were real Loc Line? The knock offs might be a different material.

The acid resistant stuff is yellow.

May have been "harbor freight" quality items. It's just something I had in the memory bank and this thread made me think of it again. Sorry. I can't be any more help. I just use the silicone hose as I had mentioned previously and am VERY happy with it.
I've since attached a cam lock to the fitting and elbow... I now have an easily removable sparge tube.
Mash%20Recuirculation.jpg

Ugly junk... silicone tube atop a 'cookie sheet' with a ton of tiny tiny holes drilled in it. That goes above the grain bed and when the recirculated wort comes out of the silicone tube onto the sheet, it distributes evenly all around the grain bed.

Cheap, easy and surprisingly effective. Just sayin'.

Back