Got the runs from my homebrew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I was called out on an inaccuracy, all so ****in defensive of homebrew despite scientific evidence.
I was inaccurate, not bloody incapable of reading, read the report.

"Saccharomyces invasive infection was clinically indistinguishable from an invasive candidiasis"

Hence with my research I thought I had candida, leading to my inaccurate statement which actually turned out to be pretty close to the truth.

But they were talking about bloodborne infection and you were complaining about your stomach. And again, they were talking about it being a result of a catheter or an injection. Which is STILL not what you described.

You are wrong. You won't admit it, your doctor never said you had anything, yet what you read on Web MD became fact in your head. Your research was obviously flawed and you cannot say with any certainty that you had any sort of illness related to drinking your beer.

CONCLUSION: Saccharomyces organisms should now be added to the growing list of emerging fungal pathogens. Special caution should be taken regarding the use of S. boulardii probiotic preparations.

Enough is enough man......

If you're going to use a pubmed article to prove your point, maybe you should read it thoroughly..

BACKGROUND: Saccharomyces cerevisiae (also known as "baker's yeast" or "brewer's yeast") is mostly considered to be an occasional digestive commensal. However, since the 1990s, there have been a growing number of reports about its implication as an etiologic agent of invasive infection. A particular feature of such infections is their association with a probiotic preparation of Saccharomyces boulardii (a subtype of S. cerevisiae) for treatment various diarrheal disorders.

Cervisiae and boulardii are two different strains. Boulardii is not used in brewing....

Except by this guy.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Story Index - Homebrew Stories - Pharmacy Brewing: Last Call

But You did not brew with S. boulardii...Perhaps you took some anti-diarrheal medication that contained S. Boul...but it was not in your beer either.

Again for the 50th time if you truly got a yeast infection unless you are going through chemo, or happen to have HIV, or had a catherter recently...Your infection came from somewhere else...not from homebrewing.

It is possible to be allergic to the yeast in homebrew, and that allergy can produce the runs...

Again, if you truly got a yeast infection if I were you, I would drop the notion that it came from your brewing, and try to figure out why/how you got it....if your doctor said you got a yeast infection, than it could be a sign that you are for some reason immuno-compromised. ANd I for one would want to find out why...

But for the sake of all the fearful noobs who are scared enough of this thing called brewing....Voodoo and I will say it again...(not for you because you seem set in your ways...) but for those seeking the truth...

Nothing Pathogenic (nothing that can hurt you) Can grow in the beer you brew. If that were the case, this would not be a legal hobby....it would still be considered as dangerous as distilling from a radiator and becoming blind....it's a mis conception to think otherwise....

I think if his stomach flora was not up to par and had stomach ulcers, then many bacteria and fungi can become dangerous and infect his blood. When my dad was fighting stomach cancer, but was not on any chemo, they would give him probiotic supplements, however therer was always a chance (doctor said) from giving him the live cultures that he could get and infection from it become of his weakened immune.

Point is your stomach flora should be happy or anything can set it off. Repeated use of antibiotics will kill beneficial bacteria in you stomach. Which will allow other threatening bacteria/fungi to grow.

With that said I still wouldnt blame homebrew.

****DEFEND THE BEASTY YEASTIES*****

Ok, I just wanted to add my new found scientific discovery of homebrew.

After sampling several of my homebrews and Apfelwein's this past weekend, my head started getting fuzzy, and my reactions slowed. After some very scientific experiments this week (hydrometer usage, internet research, and speculation) it turns out that they have alcohol in them.

who'dda thunkit? ;)

Ok, I just wanted to add my new found scientific discovery of homebrew.

After sampling several of my homebrews and Apfelwein's this past weekend, my head started getting fuzzy, and my reactions slowed. After some very scientific experiments this week (hydrometer usage, internet research, and speculation) it turns out that they have alcohol in them.

who'dda thunkit? ;)

apfelwein22.jpg

:D

Yeah, I just figured I better notify the homebrewing world of my discoveries.

Do you think my Ruination clone that I just bottled will have the same physiological effect?

This makes homebrewing even better!

I would never say it can't happen. I had one keg of perfectly fine porter it was a fine drinking experience. But EVERYTIME I had so much as a pint... I had the squirts. It got to the point that I tested and tried controls, but a glass and I was running.

Not sure why, but I know it was the homebrew. This was the ONLY beer I've tossed, and I'm pretty sure I drank 3/4 of it to arrive at my conclusion.

I wouldn't say that "nothing in homebrew can hurt you". I recall a recent batch of brew that hurt me very badly. Apparently, due to lazy sanitation, my brew caught a cold and decided not to taste very good. This batch "hurt" my feelings very badly and left me "hurting" for another batch of homebrew. So for all you naysayers out there I say homebrew can hurt you.

aren't brewer's yeast probiotic and good for you. and yes they can hurt your feelings and bring upon regret for the wasted time but hey thats how you learn

Man, I've brewed 7 batches so far but one in particular gave me some mad gas. It was my second brew which was by far my least favorite batch and used Bel Abbey yeast. Other brews may give me a bit of gas but this one was up there on the Richter scale. Not necessarily the runs but a bit of punishment to the ol' gut though. It was my second batch which was also the last one before I started kegging, feeding the yeast can't help anything IMO.

Sorry to bump this, but I think this is happening to me. GI symptoms (I'll leave it at that) consistent with whiskey (which I don't touch) and really, really spicy food, like Thai green curry ordered extra spicy. It started with homebrew but now seems to happen regularly with beer. I'll have to give Bean-O a shot. I'm only posting this so others can experience GI freedom like I hope to.

I think the sugar is the culprit. My girlfriend can't drink my homebrew lately, because she gets an upset stomach. Problem is, she can't drink regular beers now. Someone suggested Beano. She ended up calling Beano and they told her it was the sugars and that their product will help with this, and that it's very common with homebrew beers! In fact, that after one gets it with homebrew, they usually get it with regular beers too.

Tell your friend to suck it up, stop being a chick, and slip him a beano before he comes over (tell him it's a roofie) :)

There's farting, and there's this. I was gassier than usual for a brief period after starting to drink homebrew. That's not the issue here. There's farting, and there's sharting, and one is much worse than the other.

What's wrong with a little farting. In the immortal words of Ben Franklin to Thomas Jefferson. " You know Thomas, there is nothing so sweet as the smell of one's own flatulence, but stay away from Adams after he's had a pint or two."

After reading the rest of this thread and seeing that it got a little nasty, I want to state that I don't have any other undesirable side effects of drinking homebrew (other than spending way too much on new toys every month). I actually feel better after a long night of drinking homebrew than regular beer, maybe because of the vitamin B rich yeast? I'm not sure. It's possible (before this thread, I thought likely) that the yeast is also responsible for the runs. Either way, I'll call it a net gain and I'm going to brew a nice mild as soon as it cools off later. 94 and muggy as hell. Ugh!

Well, your body will adjust quite a bit. Somethings will help- like not drinking "green" beer, and not drinking the yeast sediment. I don't have any effects at all from homebrew, but I've never had "yeasty" homebrew.

It's the yeast. Perhaps you could filter. At least make sure you aren't drawing loads of it from the bottom of your keg.

My grandpa used to eat a teaspoon of yeast every morning. Helps with regularity. Too much of course can make you really really regular, to the point (loosely speaking) of irregular.

Too much of course can make you really really regular, to the point (loosely speaking) of irregular.

Nice.

I brewed one beer, a sweet(ish) stout (no lactose added, just high FG), that just rocked my GI tract every time I drank it. I could handle one pint, max. SWMBO experienced no ill effects, so she ended up drinking most of the keg.

At first I chalked it up to the yeast, S04. I convinced myself that my S04 brews had done the same thing to me in the past. But when I brewed later batches with S04, I imbibed without trouble.

So I thought it might be the roasted grains, but ditched that idea when I realized I had been drinking very dark beers for 15 years with no problems.

All I can come up with is the high FG. I guess my stomach just doesn't dig the excess sugars, which I think was mentioned earlier in this thread. Anyway, if I have a point here, it's that everyone's body is different, so it's hard to put your finger on why you're reacting to a particular brew in a particular way.

Why don't you serve hot dogs, then if they all get sick you've got something else to blame it on.

EDIT: Wait, how old is this damn thread?

If the banana is any indication of your constitution, then it definitely is TMI (God I hate that acronym... I feel like a teenage girl using it).

Anyone mention if your buddy might have a little IBS or Celiac Disease? I have met some gluten free brewers who have to make beer because of Celiac. They might have a slight irritation to gluten or yeast.

My vote goes to something they ate as well.

Eating something can definitely have an effect. Especially if I mix dairy and or the fatty deep fried greasy **** that we like to eat while drunk.

That said, the body sometimes just needs to acclimate to the new foods/drinks. If you do not eat yogurt and you start, chances are it will make you have a lot of gas and potentially irregular, but continue to eat it everyday for a week or two and it will no longer bother you (and in fact be good for you). If you do not get a lot of fiber in your diet, try getting the 25-30g of the daily recommended values, you will probably feel like it's making you go constantly and will definitely cause gas. Take that fiber for a week or two and suddenly you will go the bathroom a healthy amount (in a healthy form).

Any changes in diet may cause the body to react. With the beer, they probably only drank super filtered macro-brews, so the yeast and proteins in the homebrew might have confused their metabolism. Also beer is acidic, so large quantities of acidic liquids can make you have to go. Drink a dozen 12oz containers of orange juice and throw in a greasy sausage mcmuffin with cheese and hashbrowns (or 3) and chances are you will have the same symptoms.

they might be sensitive to yeast...homebrews usually have more yeast in them than commercial brews...also, i've noticed other types of yeast sold in health stores also mess with your g.i. tract (in good and bad ways).

I don't like the zombie thread bump, but I read something today and this thread is the only one I ever got really pissed about.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...tly-you-can-make-beer-in-your-gut?ft=1&f=1001

No need to apologise ;)

The patient had an infection with sacchromyces cerevisiae , Cordell says. So when he ate or drank a bunch of starch — a bagel, pasta or even a soda — the yeast fermented the sugars into ethanol, and he would get drunk. Essentially, he was brewing beer in his own gut. Cordell and McCarthy reported the case of "auto-brewery syndrome" a few months ago in the International Journal of Clinical Medicine.

Back