possible cause/solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanL

Reaction score
hi there

i posted about a week ago about how my 1st brew tasted rancid and wondered why it might have gone wrong.

since then i've watched a couple of vids on the process and it looks like i got the steps right the majority of the way but there were 2 things i did that stood out...

1 - i didn't just sprinkle my yeast on the surface of my mix. i full on stirred it into the stuff. every video i've seen has it just dusted on there like icing.

2 - i left it in the primary fermentor for about 2 weeks. way after it had stopped prodcing foam.

could either of these caused a bad taste? i read about dead yeast causing off flavours and both of those seem to have potential for allowing that influence

its also possible that during syphoning into secondary fermenting keg, a little bit of trub made it's way down the tube. is that going to be my problem?

any feedback appreciated. obviously the trub going down the tube is something i'll want to avoid in future but if points 1 and 2 aren't causing problems then i wont change them

Stirring the yeast shouldn't have caused off flavors.

Leaving it in primary 2 weeks shouldn't have caused off flavors, either.

Did you sanitize the spoon or whatever you used when you stirred in your yeast?

Sanitation is likely the biggest culprit here. I shake my fermenter like crazy when I add the yeast, and I leave mine in for more than a few weeks a lot of the time too. Those aren't issues at all.

Oh, and dead yeast isn't something that happens in 2 weeks. You'd have to let it sit on the yeast for a looooong time (think upwards of a year or even longer) and we all suck up some unintentional stuff from time to time. Not a big deal either.

Back