Late hop additions / Full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlap

Reaction score
Is it still necessary/beneficial to boil for 60 minutes if you're doing all late hop additions? My additions start at 20 min.

The boil time is not just about hop bittering, it's also governed by the time you need to boil down to your target volume and to boil off certain off-flavour producing compounds. So you'll need at least 60 minutes (sometimes 90). You're going to get a very unbalanced beer with additions starting at only 20 minutes. Well unless you add A LOT more hops than normal. Is this what you're going for?

If you're using the Zymurgy mentioned late hopping technique in an extract brew, you probably don't have to boil for more than about 30 minutes. With an all grain recipe, a 60+ minute boil will still be beneficial.

jay29 said:
Maybe shlap is doing this: http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm

I will for my next brew. It will be an english bitter or IPA with MOUNDS of either EKG or Fuggles at the last 20 minutes.
That looks really interesting. I have an IPA coming up (English style) that I may try this with. I'm not sure how much I'd want to stick with it given the sharp rise in hops price that is coming up, but I do enjoy experimenting. :)

Check the Hop Utilization chart in Papazian's TCJOHB.

It states the MAX hops utilization is 30% in a 60 min boil.

A 30 min boil will only result in 15% utilization for bittering.

Just remember, the less time in the boil the more flavoring you'll get versus bittering.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just finished brewing this all-grain IPA with all late hop additions. I wanted pant loads of hop aroma and flavor but with a smooth, not so bitter, biterness. (and I did boil for 60 min).

Here's the recipe

[size=+2]Shlap's Hopness Monster [/size]
[size=+1]14-B American IPA[/size]

08.jpg

Size: 5.28 gal
Efficiency: 72.66%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 213.66 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.064 (1.056 - 1.075)
|==============#=================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.018)
|===================#============|