Cider Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just kicking off my first four batches of cider to find what tastes best. Using the Whole Foods 365 Organic juice (which normally tastes kind of weak and watered down) but experiments are always a learning experience, right? We are sitting on Day 2 with bubbles happily going along. My only questions come from the yeast. I was unsure and have been unable to get an exact measurement for yeast if you are only using a 1 gallon jug and a full packet of yeast - are you suppose to use the whole packet it or measure it down if using a smaller batch than 5 gallons?

Would appreciate all insight!
Thank you!

I use S-04, and occassionaly pitch a 1 gallon batch were I use about 1/4 of a 11.5g packet. Definately don't use the whole packet, you'd just be wasting yeast

So if you do, what happens - super yeasty flavor? Too much ..............? I tried it (through peer pressure) and am reconsidering what I was thinking and what the outcome will be. Any insight?

So if you do, what happens - super yeasty flavor? Too much ..............? I tried it (through peer pressure) and am reconsidering what I was thinking and what the outcome will be. Any insight?

It will be fine. No worries. I think most would rather overpitch yeast. But on the other hand, technically you could split a packet to do 5 - 1 gallon batches.

Back