10 Gallon batches with 5 gallon batch equipment, is it possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunk_Mick

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anoyone ever tried doubling ingredients for a batch, pouring the boiled wort evenly into 2-5 gallon fermentors, than topping the two fermentors off to five gallons each?

Are you using any brewing software? If so it will do those calculations for you. Just enter the correct boil volume. If not, post the recipe you want to try and I will be happy to figure it up for you.

I've found that my efficiency suffers when I get too high of gravity so I haven't tried this method. What I have done a few times is treat the runnings as two batches and boil separately and split between carboys. Generally I'll do the first half in my 10 gal pot and then while that's chilling I'll boil the other half in the 7.5 gal pot. Adds about 90 minutes to the brew day but I've hit my targets so I'm happy.

you could do that then make up the other 5 gallons with extract just allow for the hop utilization loss of adding the 5 gallon of extract. If done this way you only need to bring the extract to a boil for 10 minutes or so, since you won't be adding hops to the extract portion.

Wow! Thanks for the numerous and quick replys to my question.

I was planning on doing BM's Cream of Three Crops. I BIAB because I have a 7 gallon pot and no mash tun or spare cooler to make one. Money is tight right now, I have two kids. I figure it's a good, easy drinking beer. If I can make 10 gallons in the same amount of time as a normal 5 gallon batch It would be awesome. $30 for ingredients for a 10 gallon batch it will cost me $3.00 a gallon!

Back