upgrading equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnorris

Reaction score
I have been brewing extract beer for a year or so now and I am wanting to try all-grain brewing, brewing larger batches and kegging. So I was looking to upgrade my equipment and I know a guy selling the following items as a package for $450 and I wanted ya'll opinions on if it was a good price and what other equipment I might look into getting.

Items in package deal:
3 - 15 gal. Kettles 2 with 1/2" valves ( converted kegs )
3 - 5 gal. Korney Keg
1 - 10 gal. Korney Keg
1 - 15 gal. Korney Keg
4 - 5 gal. carboy glass
2 - 7 gal. carboys
Bottle drying rack
Glatt Mill
Copper hopper for Mill
Misc. brewing chemicals
Carboy handles
CO2 Fittings
CO2 Regulators manifold

Thanks for the input!!!!
Jon

Yup, it's definitely a good price but you're going to need to fabricate some kind of brew stand with burners to utilize the 3 converted kegs as a brew "system". You'll also need a chiller and at least a CO2 tank.

I'd probably use the 15g corny keg as a fermenter if you're doing 10gal batches.

Well let's see:

Items in package deal:
3 - 15 gal. Kettles 2 with 1/2" valves ( converted kegs ) ~ $200 per on ebay
3 - 5 gal. Korney Keg ~ $30 per pretty much anywhere
1 - 10 gal. Korney Keg ~ $150 on ebay
1 - 15 gal. Korney Keg ~ $250 on ebay if you're lucky enough to find one
4 - 5 gal. carboy glass ~ $20 per
2 - 7 gal. carboys ~ $20 per
Bottle drying rack
Glatt Mill
Copper hopper for Mill
Misc. brewing chemicals
Carboy handles
CO2 Fittings
CO2 Regulators manifold ~ $40

Bare minimum you're getting $1200 of equipment, not including the mill and random fittings. I suggest you jump on this....oh and ask him join you on your first AG batch to show how all the equipment and process works.

Great buy if that's what you want, but if you have more modest aspirations, you could go all grain at a cheaper price and regret not splurging for several years to come.

-a.

Right. It's worth it from a pure intrinsic value standpoint but it would be worthless to you if you 're not quite ready to take on a system like that. It's like buying a hummer to go buy milk and eggs just because you got a 20% discount on it. The gas is going to kill your wallet. Maybe a crappy analogy but I hope you get the point. If you try doing your first all grain on that thing, you're gonna hit more than a couple road blocks.

Back