Friend's first batch / kit needs improvement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funky_brewster

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm helping a friend brew his first batch today and I was hoping to "augment" his kit with some fresh ingredients.

He's got a "Brown Ale" kit which consists of 5.3 lbs dark extract and no steeping grains. I was hoping to add some grains for body, but don't know what would work given the dark extract he's got.

Any thoughts?

I also want to replace the hops in the kit, was thinking of fuggles or kent goldings to give an english brown feel to the batch. Just 2 oz (1.25 at 60, the rest at 10 minutes).

Thanks for any input! Cheers!
-funky

Can you post a link to the "kit"?. As NordEastBrewer pointed out, Dark extract is pretty tough to augment. With Light extract, its wide open on what you can brew...just add the right steeping grains.

Awesome. Yeah, that's what I found after looking up the difference in dark malt extract.

Plenty of roasty grains already in there, so I dropped the chocolate malt in my planned recipe and just got a pound of C 40 plus another of extra light dme.

Ended up grabbing 2oz of willamette since they were recommended in the recipe and half the price of fuggle.

Thanks for the help!

what does yeast, liquid or dry, fresh or dead, have to do with mouthfeel and adding grains to achieve this?

guess i looked at this
I'm helping a friend brew his first batch today and I was hoping to "augment" his kit with some fresh ingredients.
and skipped over the "body adding" portion. oops

I know it may be to late but let us know how this turns out. The willametee is a very interesting choice for this beer. You could just bulk up on the fuggle.

Back