Add sugar to my cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicky

Reaction score
I there. A couple of weeks ago I was stood looking out at the apple tree in my garden when I decided that it was high time hat they were used rather than being given away or put on the compost. So I bough myself a fermenting bin, a couple of air locks and some yeast and juiced my apples.
I started the fermenting process a week ago today, and the SG reading was 1.065 (approx). I took a reading this morning and it has gone down to 1.020, so something is happening. However, I didn't add any sugar as the apples I was using were pretty sweet as they are, was this a bad move? Should I put some in now? What effect will this have the product?

Any help would be brilliant and go a long way to putting my mind at rest. Thanks :)

I there. A couple of weeks ago I was stood looking out at the apple tree in my garden when I decided that it was high time hat they were used rather than being given away or put on the compost. So I bough myself a fermenting bin, a couple of air locks and some yeast and juiced my apples.
I started the fermenting process a week ago today, and the SG reading was 1.065 (approx). I took a reading this morning and it has gone down to 1.020, so something is happening. However, I didn't add any sugar as the apples I was using were pretty sweet as they are, was this a bad move? Should I put some in now? What effect will this have the product?

Any help would be brilliant and go a long way to putting my mind at rest. Thanks :)

Sugar ferments out, so it's used to boost the ABV of cider. If you add sugar, you will have a more "wine" type drink that a traditional cider. It won't be sweet, as the sugar will ferment out completely. A good traditional cider doesn't add additional sugar for fermentables.

Back