Power questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moxie

Reaction score
I live in an old house, (renting) and am pretty concerned about the wiring... I am slowly putting together some pieces to convert my SS pot to do full electric boils for 5 gallon batches. With starting temp of my water at about 120 degrees, will 2 120v 1500w elements be enough to get a good boil going relatively quickly? Will one of these elements be capable of sustaining such a boil? I have a couple of components on the way already, PID, some relays, etc. Just looking for some advice on what direction to go with the elements. I don't think I can do anything 240v or 20a at all. Is it possible to have two 120v 1500w elements running from the same plug, or do I have to run off two plugs somehow? I currently use my stovetop to heat strike water/etc, this system would just be for boiling wort. 30 or 40 minutes from mashing temp to boil is perfectly fine with me... Longer would become an issue.

P/V=I
2(1500W)/120V = 25A
Your breaker is 15A, so I would say 'no good'.
You would need two separate breaker circuits to do this.

Back