Bourbon barrel porter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joedub

Reaction score
I just received this kit from northern brewer and my question is that it asks you to rack to a secondary let it sit for 1-2 weeks then add oak chips soaked in bourbon. Now I was all set to do this and it would require me to buy another carboy but I was thinking can I just add the oak chips and bourbon to the primary at say 2 weeks and just let them sit in there for another 2 weeks and bottle at 4 or 5 weeks? Or does it really need all that time in the secondary with the bourbon soaked oak chips? I was just trying to save some money but only if it isn't going to ruin the beer.

Here is a link to the recipe. http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/BourbonBarrelPorter.pdf

You can launch the chips right into primary and just hold to the same time lines as given in the recipe. The secondary is primarily for clarity and quite a few people are arguing against its use these days. I understand their arguments but still choose to use a secondary mostly out of habit.. For what it is worth, I would suggest sampling the beer after the oak cubes have been in there for about a week. Oak can be strong ju-ju, but at 2 ounces you will probably be ok.

Well the recipe calls for 1-2 primary and 2-3 secondary (pretty standard) so your total in "primary" will be 3-5 weeks if you hold to the recipe. Personally, I wouldn't let the oak chips sit for longer than 2 weeks so I would handle it as such:

Either wait for the airlock to become nearly motionless, or use a SG reading to determine the end of "primary" fermentation. At this time add the oak chips and let it rest for 2 weeks after that. This will be your "secondary." I think you should be fine with that. If you want to stretch it out to 6+ weeks. That is fine, but I wouldn't add the oak until the last 2.

Back