Yeast woes pacman vs WLP001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am a self proclaimed pacman nut, however I have never ordered from wyeast and I will next time it is offered. I have done nothing but bottle harvest and alas my strain has mutated and become too fluffy and not flocculent. So I banished this pacman mutant from my brewery and bought two bombers of brutal bitter hoping to harvest. These dredges have been in 8 oz of water mixed with 1 oz DME for 72 hours with a lot of agitation and aeration with no signs of life.

So now I am wondering, is it really worth it? With WLP001 so readily available from white labs, do you think there is really a huge difference? I make hoppy ales 90% of the time so maybe I am just better off making WLP001 my house strain? I am also experimenting with WLP007, but I do not a nice clean yeast because sometimes I make some cream ales and things for the BMC crowds.

Make a batch with Pacman from Wyeast, then wash the yeast. I did it and got 4 pint jars with about 1/4 of good yeast on the bottom. Did this with the Wyeast 3724 and the wash yeast worked just as well as the smack pack.

I guess the real question is...is there really such a difference between pacman and WLP001 that it is even worth having both around when they are so similar? I do get a slight mineral/earth flavor from pacman sometimes and I get virtually no yeast derrived flavors from WLP001...the tradeoff being pacman attenuates a little bit further.

Update, I bought a bottle of brutal bitter, I pitched the dredges into 8 oz water and 1 oz DME and moved it to 70 degrees. The starter was rolling in 8 hours. I then stepped it up over the course of a week to a 1 gallon starter. I cold crashed this, decanted the wort and washed the yeast. I know have a bunch of white labs vials filled with awesome pacman yeast.

Back