Enter a GF In a competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTBrewer

Reaction score
Anybody ever done this? Would it be frowned upon?

I brewed my first batch a month ago and am bottling it tomorrow. Just had a taste of it and its pretty tasty.

Used sorghum extract, brown rice syrup, and hopped/flavored it to make an Orange Pale Ale with some corriander notes.

Enter it in Style 23 (specialty beer).......it specifically lists unusual fermentables (e.g., maple syrup, honey, molasses, sorghum). Can't hurt, and you'll get some good feedback.

I stewarded a GF APA in 23A at AWOG. It was pretty good (and what I didn't like about it was probably not related to the lack of gluten). Go for it.

I was reading this entry in Google Reader, so I couldn't tell the heading it was listed under. I had to click on it because I wondered why you were entering your Girl Friend in a competition. :confused:

I entered my American Brown Ale into a local homebrew competition- They noted that it was Gluten Free but I don't really know what happened after that- I spoke to a judge who went to go get his notes but he never came back. Isn't there a category now for Gluten Free Beers?

The BJCP does not describe a Gluten Free category. I am sure several competitions have one. As always, you can enter a beer in 23 with as much literature as you want, including a draft style guideline.

I would probably just enter it in 23, note the base style and what the primary grain used was.

Absolutely enter it, category 23. It will be judged as a gluten-free beer, if you call it that, and in that category there is no standard to judge it against except for what you describe the beer as making it a specialty.

:off:

Sigafoos, I wish I could have helped out with AWOG this year. A ton of stuff came up this month, even had to cancel my taking of the BJCP exam in Toronto. Looks like it was an awesome competition and the banquet sounded fantastic. Maybe next year.

I think we NEED more people to enter GF beers in competitions. Just imagine the growth in that area. Some people who are allergic to Gluten could really use some GOOD GF beer!

I had a GF the other day and it was "ok", but mostly just a standard light lager type beer. Actually the flavor was good, although not exactly standard beer flavor.

Entering beers into comps is never frowned on.

They'd prefer if you chose the right category because they want you to have the best opportunity to get the proper evaluation.

When I saw the OP, I thought it meant "Enter a girlfriend in a competition?"

Then I realized it was gluten free.

Ah, you know what- I was thinking about the category I read from the GABF...#14 on their beer styles list. I really ought to joing a homebrew club in my area and try to enter more competitions, I'm glad all you guys are so supportive

Back