Sadness is...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J8D

Reaction score
...coming home and entering your garage to check on your most recent brew's fermentation status only to find that your failure to have a temp controller on your lagering fridge (because it had stayed at a consistant 33 for the last week) has resulted in a frozen and shattered carboy full of a five week old hellesbock that you took the time to do a triple decoction mash the results of which was one of the tastiest homebrews yet as sampled during the pre lagering hydrometer taste test. I believe I am currently at stage 2 (pain and guilt) of the grieving process. I'm not sure how much covering your cement floor with quality beer helps a house's resale value. It sure smells tasty!! :rockin:

I think grieving stages III and IV are: post pics and wallow in community misery, respectively.
-Jefe-

"Lessons learned" is a very important process to follow after something so heart-breaking as this!

Don't use glass.
Wire in a circuit that would prevent this from happening again. Let me know if you need help with this.

"Lessons learned" is a very important process to follow after something so heart-breaking as this!

Don't use glass.

Solid copy on the lessons learned. Never trust a fridge with precious cargo unless you have a quality controller on it.

I never thought of using plastic. I guess I figured (with no justification) that glass was the better way to go. So plastic for lagering?

Glass is fine if you have a good control scheme. Many have good luck with Better Bottles but I have no experience with them. I use 6 and 7 gallon plastic buckets (I have 8 of these or so), 1 glass carboy, 1 half barrel SS keg and a 14 gallon conical. I would say the conical is best but it doesn't fit in my fridge so I use the keg usually for lagering.

Solid copy on the lessons learned. Never trust a fridge with precious cargo unless you have a quality controller on it.

I never thought of using plastic. I guess I figured (with no justification) that glass was the better way to go. So plastic for lagering?

I wouldn't lager in plastic. Of course I keg, so I lager in there. Glass is fine, just spend the $45 and get a digital temp controller.

Your condolences are appreciated. Photos of destruction (not for the faint or sober) to follow.

One good point to come out of this, since I am an optimist, is what I have learned about glass carboys from this site. Apparently they are not necessarily everyones favorite for fermentors. I thought better bottles were for those of us who couldn't dump the coin on the glass ones. I only had glass since I bought my kit used. I now know that my two buckets and my future purchase of cheaper BBs are perhaps a safer way to go.

The other light at the end of the tunnel is that Mama San is heading out of town on a four day business trip. This equates to a "brewing 96."

Children: What's for dinner Dad?
Me: Open up that igloo cooler over there and get yourself a nice warm
bowl of spent grain.
Children: What about a vegetable?
Me: Here, have some lettuce.
Children: Why do you have lettuce inside that kettle and why is it sticky, bitter, and funny smelling.
Me: That's because it's good for you now go finish cleaning those bottles, Daddy's got work to do.

:rockin:

Children: What's for dinner Dad?
Me: Open up that igloo cooler over there and get yourself a nice warm
bowl of spent grain.
Children: What about a vegetable?
Me: Here, have some lettuce.
Children: Why do you have lettuce inside that kettle and why is it sticky, bitter, and funny smelling.
Me: That's because it's good for you now go finish cleaning those bottles, Daddy's got work to do.

:rockin:

HA!

My 7yo son wanted to try a hop pellet. I'd never seen such a look of pained disgust in my life.

Back