Champagne Yeast Or No

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbuffness

Reaction score
I just brewed a batch of Charlie Papazian's "Colonel Coffin Barley Wine" that is in his book The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and my O.G. was exactly 1.100 just like the book said it would be. We used a strong ale yeast like the book said (Wyeast 1056 - American Ale™) and boy is this beer perking in the glass carboy. The intended F.G., according to the book, is 1.022-1.035.

I have a few questions... Prior to bottling should I add champagne yeast for carbonation or getting the last little bit of sugars out or if I am fine with just using the liquid yeast?

Should I re-rack this beer into a secondary and do anything then or wait until bottling. I just don't want to mess up this beer since it was very pricey.

Also if anyone has brewed this beer before and has any tips or has any comments on how this Barley Wine tasted, please post! :)

Thanks! - Wes

A 1.100 wort will be pushing the limit for 1056, so adding the champagne yeast is a good idea. You might want to rack once the gravity is stabilized and add the fresh yeast then. That will let the yeast clean up, adjust to the beer and once the beer has cleared, you'll be good to bottle.

Back