Fermentation gasses..possible fix..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have read a few threads here about how people deal with the odors put off by the fermentation. I read about some just dealing with it (my first choice), and some using a sort of activated charcoal filter over top to catch the odors.

Well since I just got out of the military a year ago I went rooting through my stuff and found a gas mask filter. The opening for filter where it threads into the mask is about the same diameter as my vapor lock. I just wrapped a piece of blue painters tape (due to low stick adhesive) and will see how well it filters out the smell.

These could be a cheap way to keep the significant other at bay. Mine started complaining two days into fermentation. They can probably be had for $10 +- at local army surplus stores. The military was going to a new mask when I left last year so these filters will be all over the place.

filterus10yr.jpg

Alright it's been a few hours and bubbling along just fine. However no odor. I got the nose of approval from the wife.

I deem the gas mask canister method to reduce odors a success.

I noticed at the LHBS that they carried airlocks with activated charcoal in them. I didn't look at the price because I have not had any problems yet, but I made a mental note because the SWMBO has a sensative nose.

you can buy activated charcoal for very little on ebay. In college (before I got a fridge with filter built in) I used to refill my brita filters by myself....saved a TON of money.

I had great luck just setting one of my little charcoal/spongy things from my fish tank filter (new of course!) over the top and it really took all the odor from the rhino farts!

I have much worse smelling gasses that my wife has to deal with on a regular basis where she either doesn't mind the rhino farts, or cant smell them. haha

Actually, I haven't had a rhino batch yet *knocks on wood*

I was hoping my regular gas would keep her from noticing. However with me not around to blame the smell on myself or the dog she noticed on saturday while I was at work.

The gas mask canister is a success. I stuck the bucket in the guest bathroom over night and it doesn't smell like anything except a bathroom. Due to he resistance the filter creates it doesn't breath as freely but there are no pressure problems the lid can't handle. Afterall I used to breath through the damn thing for hours at a time.

Well I started my first wine kit before the weekend and now my entire flat smells like the city landfill :( I'm racking it into a carboy tonight and sticking a gas mask filter on the damn thing.

In my experience, the stink has two causes - using sulfites, which I no longer use, and a ferment that is going too fast, in which case I'll move the carboy to a cooler place. A charcoal filter ought to work, but you are addressing the symptom and not the cause (stressed yeast)

I just started a carmel apple mead and man it is kicking out the rhino farts!:rockin: The airlock was constatly bubbling for the most of the day. I noticed it in the afternoon. I went out and bought a brita water filter and dumped the activated charcoal in an airlock. Before I did that my whole house smelled, after only the area right near my bucket. Every now and then I get a carmel smell, but it it is mostly rhino farts!

Does anyone know how long rhine farts last on average?

If you can cool the ferment down to low or mid 60s, that will usually stop the rhino farts. Some yeasts are naturally a little sulfury, try not to use those. for most, the sulfur smell is the yeast letting you know they are stressed. You can scrub the smell, but better to fix the problem. If you cant cool it down, try feeding it a small bit of nutrient.

I just finished a batch using S-04, and the smell was only really bad for 2, maybe 3 days (had it in the basement where SWMBO has her sewing room, and she almost made me move it back out to the garage). Both before and after that short period, no smell at all (unless you stuck your nose right over it - then you just smelled vodka with a hint of apple to it).

I have LOTS of activated charcoal lying around from my fish tank - never even thought of trying that (I was busy dreaming up all sorts of ducting and exhaust fan schemes...)

It is in my basement where it usually is a constant 64 degrees. I may have stressed the Lalvin K1v1116 out a bit by upping the honey content. My hydrometer reading was at 1.1162! Since then I cut it with a gallon of water and more nutrients. The activated charcoal is only a temporary fix untill I can get more nutrient from the LHBS. The sad thing is the owner of the LHBS talked me out of buying the big $50 bag of nutrients...

There is one more thing I can do to get my basement cooler, gonna close the heating vents. :eek:

Back