Attention Astronauts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
In honor of the 40th anniversary of the moon landing, NASA is doing a 'real-time' broadcast of that fateful event. They're doing the pre-launch right now at We Choose the Moon: Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing. There's also a facebook and myspace plugin so you can check it out at all times! I'm pretty excited, actually. The moon landing was 7 years before I was born but I get to see it again for the first time.

I always wanted to be an astronaut :(

The sooner we go back the better for humanity and America.

Cut welfare and put it into Nasa.

I WANT MY MOONBASE

Launch is in 30 minutes! And here I am stuck at work so I don't get to hear the audio of the launch :(

Am I missing something? There hasn't been any audio since before the launch, and they're now in orbit around the earth.

you might need to open the shoutcast in another window. they were over capacity.

This is so cool!

you might need to open the shoutcast in another window. they were over capacity.

This is so cool!

Hmm... still got nothin' but the background audio.

Was using Firefox, now I tried IE and it's working...

... and now it's not working again!!!!

Hmm... still got nothin' but the background audio.

Was using Firefox, now I tried IE and it's working...

You have your volume set to 11, you need to put it back to 10 or below as back then they didn't go to 11, wasn't invented yet.

NASA's planning on sending people back to the moon!
Parents! Name your children "Buzz" now!

I was 2 days old when the landed, my mommy and me watched from the hospital bed. I don't remember much though.:D

I guess back in the day it took a while to recover from giving birth to a 10lb turd.

I was about 6 months old when they landed, and even though I don't remember anything at all about it -- I've heard the story about what I did that day from my parents and grandparents all my life. You know how you do something sort of embarassing when you're a kid but grownups think its cute so they talk about it forever ? One of those kinds of things....

I was about 6 months old when they landed, and even though I don't remember anything at all about it -- I've heard the story about what I did that day from my parents and grandparents all my life. You know how you do something sort of embarassing when you're a kid but grownups think its cute so they talk about it forever ? One of those kinds of things....

I clearly remember watching it on TV with my parents and sisters. Never an astronaut but I did work for Lockheed Martin for many years in their missiles and space division building satellites and even working launch operations on top of the rocket getting it ready for launch. I was offered positions twice at KSC to work shuttle operations getting it ready for launch. I get a lump in my throat before every launch and miss the industry very much. Mergers and plant closings and relationships here required I discover new career paths to follow. I can only imagine what experiences I would have had if I had moved to Florida and taken that job.

I was in 6th grade when they showed the Shuttle First launch and landing in class.

KSC is such a cool place. Wife and I went to Florida years back and i had a pass to get as close to the launch as the public is allowed, but we were on the west side of the state and had to drive all the way across to see the night launch. We decided to pass on it because it would have meant staying a a hotel and we were just tired.

Now my wife is a space fan and she'll never let me live down missing that night launch. I swear she is goign to make me drive down there again to watch a launch some day.

The only audio I'm getting is scratchy background noise, no dialog.

EDIT: Now I have dialog. I guess they were on the dark side with no radio contact.

I was in 6th grade when they showed the Shuttle First launch and landing in class.

KSC is such a cool place. Wife and I went to Florida years back and i had a pass to get as close to the launch as the public is allowed, but we were on the west side of the state and had to drive all the way across to see the night launch. We decided to pass on it because it would have meant staying a a hotel and we were just tired.

Now my wife is a space fan and she'll never let me live down missing that night launch. I swear she is goign to make me drive down there again to watch a launch some day.

oh man there is nothing better than a night launch at the demarcation point.
it kicks ass , in the late 80s my dad worked at KSC and we lived in titusville.
thay were rebuilding the launch pad A and B , Dad took me all over that place it was great. I remember the first launch I saw, it was the first launch after the challenger explosion. it was such a huge deal down there , the buzz was nuts , people came from all over the world and just parked all up and down the highway to watch , it was standing room only on hundreds of over-passes along the highway that runs paralle to the cape.

146664main_ksc_map.jpg

Yeah, the tickets were for the "causeway", which I see where it is on the map now.

Rocket garden is pretty cool to see, especially at evening when the sun hits it just right. So much cool stuff to see at KSC!

The VAB is HUGE!!!

Yeah, the tickets were for the "causeway", which I see where it is on the map now.

Rocket garden is pretty cool to see, especially at evening when the sun hits it just right. So much cool stuff to see at KSC!

The VAB is HUGE!!!

Yeah, the general pubic viewing areas are sucky; I got there early and picked a spot with the best view between the trees. As people walked by they would stop and comment on how I had the best spot. There is a viewing area at the Apollo/Saturn V complex but I was told that was for VIP's only.

Make sure you bring binoculars, once the shuttle begins to get out of sight you can still follow it with binoculars and if in view even see the solid rocket engines peel off.

oh man there is nothing better than a night launch at the demarcation point.
it kicks ass , in the late 80s my dad worked at KSC and we lived in titusville.
thay were rebuilding the launch pad A and B , Dad took me all over that place it was great. I remember the first launch I saw, it was the first launch after the challenger explosion. it was such a huge deal down there , the buzz was nuts , people came from all over the world and just parked all up and down the highway to watch , it was standing room only on hundreds of over-passes along the highway that runs paralle to the cape.

146664main_ksc_map.jpg

That's pretty cool, as I mentioned earlier I could have but didn't. I have ton's of pictures from work, but about 1/2 are copies from the plant on site photographer and only hard copies. The rest are from a plain old camera with negatives. I really should get them all on digital format; I can't share one picture electronically.

Anyone ever take a tour of the JPL labs in Pasadena, CA? I drove down only to find the tours were booked and you needed to register in advance, bummer. I actually applied for a position there, well kind of, not an exact opening I just sent my resume. I don't have a PhD, I just thought those guys needed someone to build and test assist what they build and I though my years building satellites would help. Never heard from them though, I am sure those jobs are in little demand and highly sought after. I also still lived in NJ.

Back