How Much Fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
As a general practice, how much fruit is needed in a mead/melomel? Same amount as in a wine?

Fruit additions can run from 1/2 lb per gallon to 3-4 pounds per gallon. Depends if you are looking for fruit-flavored mead or a 'fortified' fruit wine. Melomels can run as high as 50% fermentables from fruit. My blackberry melomel starts with 2-3 gallons of fruit. I ferment it for a week, then remove the bag, add the honey and top off with water to 2.5 gallons. When the fermentation slows, I rack to one gallon jugs to let it finish.

I hadn't liked the meads I had tried and had given up on the style until Homebrewer_99 turned me on to his ginger mead. It is made at half strength, and done fairly dry, and I found I like this method a lot. IIRC, this is the hydromel style of mead.

Having access to a large amount of wild fruit, I am aiming to do some meads this fall, but the ratio of fruit to honey is a little scary for me right now.

Relying on other's recipes may make a product I don't like, so I am trying to get a handle on what to do in general terms.

I have found a graph that shows what amount of honey for a given amount of ABV, but is there some sort of ROT or graph that shows what additional sugars are contributed by a given amount of a specific fruit?

Mead_Honey_vs_ABV.jpg

Use hightest's spreadsheet, it has columns for amount of juice from fruit and how it affects the mead.

Link is in the FAQ topic here in the mead section.

Latest posts

Back