Strawberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joentuff

Reaction score
ok this is my first time making wine and I have started with 2 different recipes, both started off almost the same, here is what I did,

12.5lbs strawberries
added enough water water to cover the fruit
added sodium Metabisulfate
added Tannin
andded acid Blend

the difference is to one batch I also added 3 cans of white grape conncentrate

here is my question, I have been stiring it everday for the past 4 days, and something odd happened to the batch with the conncentrate. yestereday when I stired it it foamed up like head on a beer, however the one without didnt. does anyone have any idea of what is going on? did I mess something up?

ok I think I messed up, I added the yeast to the buckets and didnt read the insrtuctions correctly, so I didnt seal them up for about 12hrs, am I going to end up with skunk water?

Didn't seal them as in, no lid on at all; or, put the lid on, but not a tight seal. Either way I think you are okay; however, I will let some more experienced folks give you the final say. Although I think they will tell you RDWHAHB.

It is probably better that you didn't seal them, wine needs oxygen to get fermentation started.

Keep it away from drafts and dust though while open, they are bad news.

well I kept my towel over the bucket held on with a rubber band, but i didnt seal the lid and put the airlock on till about 12hrs later

You're fine. You might have been seeing degassing when stirring. Are you in secondary yet?

Check your hydrometer. If it's still fermenting then forget about it, you'll be fine. It's just yeasties doing their thing. If it's done fermenting go stir it again. You can get CO2 stuck in the wine and stirring will let it out.

ok its been in its secondary for about 2 weeks, planing on leaving it there for another 2 weeks befor bottleing it, am I on the right track? it looks great by the way

Back