Simple but tasty extract amber ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See my entry on American Amber Ale on the Wiki. Should give you enough to build your own recipe!

I like a mix of Crystal malts: 40, 90 and 120L, weighted toward the 40. Use your favorite brewing software to come up with the percentages listed in the article.

I also like the midrange of the IBUs, with a nice smack of hops in the flavor/aroma.

Cheers,

Bob

I don't agree with what you say about the hops, nor does the BJCP. Other than that nice article.

If you use Briess Amber LME you already have Crystal 60L (and some Munich malt.) Steep 8oz Crystal 40L and 4 oz 80L (or 120L) and your there. An once or two of Roasted Barley is good too.

Something like this
http://hopville.com/recipe/60014/american-amber-ale-recipes/simple-amber

The style has a great deal of freedom. Any hop and just about any malt are fair game. There is a comercial beer brewed here that tastes like it's mostly Melanoidin Malt and Argentine Cascades.
http://www.zioncanyonbrewingcompany.com/index_files/SpringdaleAmberAle.htm

I made a pretty straightforward American Amber, very close to Conroe's recipe, and did it completely on my own (without any reference to the BJCP). Only today did I review the BJCP guidelines and discover that I'd hit it right on the head!

BU:GU 0.71, the hydrometer samples taste marvelous, with a good hop bite. I'm going to rack it directly to the keg from my conical at the 3 week point, and then carb it for a week or two before serving.

khiddy's "Summerbrau"

As a follow-up, I've just taken a hydro reading, and though it's been 4 days since the last one, I'm still at 1.020. I think that's way too high (and hopville.com told me to look for 1.014), so I figure I'm stuck. It could be that this is the first time I've used my conical fermentor, so perhaps I dropped too much trub too often (though I was dropping it out no more than every other day, and not too much each time, either...). Any ideas?

I don't agree with what you say about the hops, nor does the BJCP. Other than that nice article.

Really.

West Coast versions tend to have more intense hop character and be more heavily tilted towards hop flavors than East Coast versions, which are often more balanced.

That's a simple fact, easily discerned through actually researching the style.

Here's what I had to say about hops:

HOPS As with the grist, choose only domestic hops varieties in AAA. Most commercial examples use one or a blend of the "Big C"s - Cascade, Chinook, Centennial - as part of the defining character.

Here's what BJCP has to say about hops:

Low to moderate hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character is common, but not required.
Moderate to high hop flavor from American hop varieties, which often but not always has a citrusy quality.

Looks pretty obvious that BJCP and I agree pretty closely. Granted, my definition is a bit tighter, but that's not disagreement. See below.

Since BJCP formulated the style entry based on the sources from which I drew my article, that makes sense. Unless, of course, you have some insight into or information on the matter of which I am unaware; if you do, kindly cite your source, because I'm keen to see it.

In my article, I advise brewers to use distinctively American hops varieties because the style is distinctly American. If you brew AAA with Kent Goldings, it ain't AAA. If you brew AAA with Saaz, it ain't AAA. It might still be Amber Ale, but it isn't American Amber Ale. Willamette is an American variety, but its flavor is - in my opinion, mind - not sufficiently distinctly American.

If you're disagreeing with my post above, wherein I wrote that I like a nice smack of flavor/aroma hops, I invite you to evaluate a few of the BJCP benchmarks, all of which have that characteristic: Tröegs HopBack Amber (my favorite), St. Rogue Red, Mendocino Red Tail, and Boont Amber.

Kindly explain what's to disagree with. I enjoy learning new things.

Regards,

Bob

BJCP said:
American hops, often with citrusy flavors, are common but others may also be used.
Wiki said:
Avoid domestic varieties based on European ancestors (Willamette is a Fuggle cultivar, as Liberty is Hallertau).

There seems to be some disagreement here. Your last post makes it even more clear.
In my article, I advise brewers to use distinctively American hops varieties because the style is distinctly American. If you brew AAA with Kent Goldings, it ain't AAA. If you brew AAA with Saaz, it ain't AAA. It might still be Amber Ale, but it isn't American Amber Ale. Willamette is an American variety, but its flavor is - in my opinion, mind - not sufficiently distinctly American.

Heck, Bud American Ale fails by your definition and then not by the BJCP's.

Oh, come on, dude. I hate to say it, but that's pretty much a textbook example of "pedantic".

Just because 'others may be used' doesn't mean you should use them. Didn't your mother ever tell you, others could jump off bridges, but that doesn't make it a good idea?

My last paragraph, which you kindly highlighted, proves my point. All I'm trying to say is this: If you're going to brew a style, brew it in a manner that's instantly recognizable to a palate with a little bit of experience. If you go out on a limb far enough that it isn't recognizable as the style anymore, what's the point of calling it by that style name? Might as well throw in some Black Patent and Chocolate malts; it's legal under the BJCP description, look:

May also contain specialty grains which add additional character and uniqueness.
BP and Choco malt will certainly add character and make it unique! Never mind it becomes a Porter; it's still legal under the American Amber Ale BJCP description according to the Conroe Interpretation Method!

Sheesh.

Bob

P.S. Interesting that you think Bud American Ale fails. Which Cascades do you think they're dry-hopping with? Argentine? How else does it fail? American malts? Check. American hops for flavor/aroma? Check. Clean, low-ester yeast? Check. :rolleyes:

I don't know what your problem is. This is simple reading comprehension I learned in the third grade. Others may be used means just that.
P.S. Interesting that you think Bud American Ale fails. Which Cascades do you think they're dry-hopping with? Argentine? How else does it fail? American malts? Check. American hops for flavor/aroma? Check. Clean, low-ester yeast? Check.

Saaz, Willamette, even Palisades fail by your own words. You say to avoid them. AB does not agree with you either. I really can't tell that there are any Cascades in it any way. It must be like an 1/8 once or less to five gallons.

Never mind it becomes a Porter; it's still legal under the American Amber Ale BJCP description according to the Conroe Interpretation Method!

Now your just being a smart ass. Go and tastes some ambers and if your taste buds are as good as mine you will taste small quantities of some of the dark malts. Not enough to make it a Brown ale, but there none the less. You will find them even in some Pale ales.

I know my writing skills may be lacking, but my reading comprehension is much better than that of your own.

I don't know what your problem is. This is simple reading comprehension I learned in the third grade. Others may be used means just that.

Let me try this one more time: You're right. All I'm saying is that just because you can doesn't mean you should or that it's a good idea.

Saaz, Willamette, even Palisades fail by your own words. You say to avoid them.
Yes, I do. For the reasons in my article and explained just above.

AB does not agree with you either. I really can't tell that there are any Cascades in it any way. It must be like an 1/8 once to five gallons or less.
Weird that their own marketing materials don't list any of the above, but do list Cascades from the Pacific Northwest. It's on the front page of the Budweiser American Ale website, fer Crissakes.

Let me make this abundantly clear: A/B agrees with me. Unless and until you list some credible source that says otherwise, you're simply and inarguably wrong. I don't know why you'd persist in that fiction.

Now your just being a smart ass. Go and tastes some ambers and if your taste buds are as good as mine you will taste small quantities of some of the dark malts. Not enough to make it a Brown ale, but there none the less. You will find them even in some Pale ales.

No arguments there. Ed Tringali, one of the brewers who defined the style, used a very small proportion of roasted barley for color. He was not alone.

I was pointing out the silliness inherent in your original argument, which was, paraphrased, "The style description permits it, so you can use it." Not even taken to extremes, that can take the beer out of style. Like I used in an example before, using East Kent Goldings as flavor/aroma hops makes it decidedly not American Amber Ale, even though the BJCP style sheet says it's permissible. I was illustrating my point by taking your argument to an extreme.

I know my writing skills may be lacking, but my reading comprehension is much better than that of your own.

That's called an ad hominem attack, and it furthers nothing. Attack my arguments all you like; you lose all credibility when you attack my person.

Thanks for playing.

Regards,

Bob

It's not Revvy's job to support your argument. It's yours. Cite the source. Give me a web link, an article, something. Otherwise, you're just telling me something you heard from a bloke, which proves nothing.

I'll just wait over here until you figure out forensics.* I'm not all that hungry.

smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

Cheers,

Bob

* The art or study of formal debate; argumentation.

P.S. To the OP - I'm sorry your thread devolved into this. At the very least, I hope you're gleaning some wheat from all the chaff.

I don't care, google, your wrong and I know it, the internet knows it, and I don't need to learn what I already know. Besides there are videos with the master brewer saying just what I did (-->The Source!<--) Not only that but I've used similar hops in an amber with similar but much better results. Unfortunately it does not convert to extract nor is it simple.

Okay, you refuse to cite. No problem. You know what you know, and you petulantly refuse to permit me to know it the way you know it. I guess we must agree to differ in our definitions of acceptable debate technique. Anyway, this 'debate' has devolved into drivel which I lack the inclination to pursue.

The fact of the matter is this: The best examples of any style are immediately identifiable through the use of certain ingredients. A brewer can go further afield than the bog-standard ingredients, but he runs the risk of going so far afield that his beer is no longer recognizable as that style. All I'm doing is recommending brewers avoid that impulse. Even though Budweiser American Ale may use hops other than Cascades, the identifiable hops variety - the one even I can smell and taste - is Cascades, which makes it instantly recognizable as American. Were it finished with Kent Goldings, for example, it'd be something like Sam Adams Boston Ale, which, while brewed in America and an outstanding beer, is not American Amber Ale.

That's all I'm doing: recommending. I'm not, I can't, stop anyone from doing whatever they please. If you wish to brew to style, brew to style. That's all I'm sayin'.

Here's a simple recipe for Shaun:

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-B American Ale, American Amber Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 48
Min Clr: 10 Max Clr: 17 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Extract (Lbs): 6.50
Anticipated OG: 1.051 Plato: 12.52
Anticipated SRM: 12.1
Anticipated IBU: 38.8
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.8 0.25 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120
3.8 0.25 lbs. Crystal 90L America 1.033 90
84.6 5.50 lbs. Briess DME- Gold America 1.046 8
7.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.75 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.00 30.1 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 8.6 20 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast US-05 SafAle US Ale

I've brewed something similar to this many times, and think you'll have success with it!

Cheers,

Bob

Fine. I have nothing against you. But remember I post what I know or at least what I think I know. That is the biggest problem with this hobby (what people think they know that is.)

Shaun,
Here's a recipe from Bob that might have gotten lost.

Here's a simple recipe for Shaun:

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-B American Ale, American Amber Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 48
Min Clr: 10 Max Clr: 17 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Extract (Lbs): 6.50
Anticipated OG: 1.051 Plato: 12.52
Anticipated SRM: 12.1
Anticipated IBU: 38.8
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
3.8 0.25 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120
3.8 0.25 lbs. Crystal 90L America 1.033 90
84.6 5.50 lbs. Briess DME- Gold America 1.046 8
7.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.75 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.00 30.1 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 8.6 20 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast US-05 SafAle US Ale

I've brewed something similar to this many times, and think you'll have success with it!

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks, Hugh; you beat me to it. :D

Shaun, that recipe uses a mix of Crystal malts to create a broad spectrum of Crystal flavors. The Briess Gold extract is basically pale malt mashed with a bit of CaraPils.

It's not a spectacular recipe for which everyone will beat a path to your door, but it's simple to brew and representative of the style.

Bob

I'm guessing the Crystal in that recipe is to be steeped for the whole boil? Do I need to have the grains crushed or simply steep them whole?
(I've never brewed an extract+grain recipe before)

Shaun,
You'll need the grains crushed. You should steep before boil. I'm an all grain brewer and it's been a while since I brewed an extract/steep batch, but I think grains should be steeped 1.5 qt/lb @ 170F for 30 min. Add that liquid to your boil pot and begin your boil as usual. (please someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
:mug:

Shaun,

Section 2, Chapter 13 of Palmer's How To Brew is an excellent tutorial; I suggest you follow it.

Here's a simple method:

1. Place the cracked grains* in a grain bag. Heat 2 gallons of brewing liquor in your kettle** to around 160F. Turn off the heat, immerse the bag in the liquor and dunk it like a tea bag until the grain is completely wet. Then leave it alone for 30 minutes.

2. While the grain bag is steeping, heat a gallon of liquor in a smaller pot to 170 degrees. When the 30 minutes is up, place the grain bag in a colander over the brewkettle. Rinse the grains with the hotter liquor.

3. You should have collected a bit less than 3 gallons of wort in your kettle. Now you can proceed with adding extracts and boiling as you're used to doing.

See? Simple! :D

Bob

* Most LHBS will crush the grains for you. I strongly suggest you purchase crushed grains.
** I assume you have a 4-5 gallon kettle.

Bob,
I'm sorry to thread jack this one.
Please critique this recipe, it's a 11 gallon batch AAA:
2 Row 20.5 lbs
Victory 7 oz.
Munich 12 oz.
Biscuit 5 oz.
Carmel 80 4 oz.
Chocolate 4oz.

Northern Brewer 2 oz @ 60 min
Hell/Hers 1 oz @ 15 min
Williamette .5 oz. @ 5 min

S 05 2 x 11 gram.
I am now thinking the victory and biscuit are redundant(thanks flyangler18)
Any input would be appreciated.:mug:

Thanks in advance.:mug:

Looks interesting!

Jason is right; choose one or the other. On second thought, such small amounts - I mean, 12 oz in 10 gallons - isn't going to throw anything too far out of whack.

On third thought, why not delete the V and B entirely? If you increase the Munich to 5-10% of the grist, you should get the same quality.

The only real problem I see is a lack of Crystal/Caramel malts. AAA must have a noticeable Crystal/Caramel malt note; that's what makes it a different style than APA. The most important quote in my article is about adding 90L Crystal to SNPA! :)

I'd ensure at least 10% of the grist is Crystal malt of some sort. I prefer a melange of different Lovibonds to create a spectrum of Crystal flavors, with an emphasis on the darker - 90 & 120L. That way you can also halve the Chocolate (I presume you added that for color?).

Cheers,

Bob

Bob,
Thanks for the input. How's this look?
18 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Munich
.5 lbs C 90
.5 lbs C 120
.75 lbs

same hop add and yeast

Whatchathink?:mug:

Grist looks more appropriate. Except for .75 lbs of ??? :D

Speaking of the hops schedule, I'd use more at flameout, and I'd use one of the "C" hops. I <3 Willamette, but I think it's too Fuggly to be distinctly American.

Cheers!

Bob

I'll be doing the recipe recommended to Shaun by Bob. It looks like the solid, basic AAA recipe for which I was looking.

Also, only because it seems as though you are a very articulate writer, Bob, "whence" actually translates to "from where". So having "from" in front of whence is actually redundant/incorrect. Again, I don't mean to be a dick. I like using "whence" in my papers. B-)

Back