Spiced Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
So I was at the LHBS minding my own business when I was attacked by a brewers best pumpkin spice porter kit. Well I subdued it and brought it home. I don't use kits and I've only made 1 kit so I have a few questions.

1 The instructions say to add the whole spice packet. The packet is 2.5 oz's of pumpkin pie spice. That's enough for a LOT of pies.

2. I decided to make this a baltic porter and am adding 3.3 pounds of pilsen lme, the kit came with 1 pack of us04 would adding 2 packs of US 05 be a problem to get my yeast levels up sg of 1.066

3. does anyone know how to get Carabrown into BTP?

Thanks
Ray

The Brewer's Best Pumpkin Spiced Porter was actually the first beer I brewed. My impressions were that it came out *WAY* overspiced. I find myself wishing I had used maybe half of the included spices.

My recommendation would be to compare to other existing pumpkin ale recipes and use a similar volume of spice. Maybe even follow the 'spice tea' method recommended in Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin recipe?

The Brewer's Best Pumpkin Spiced Porter was actually the first beer I brewed. My impressions were that it came out *WAY* overspiced. I find myself wishing I had used maybe half of the included spices.

My recommendation would be to compare to other existing pumpkin ale recipes and use a similar volume of spice. Maybe even follow the 'spice tea' method recommended in Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin recipe?

Agreed. Brewed this about 6 weeks ago and I think the spice was waaaay overpowering. Though almost the whole batch did disappear at a cookout, so it couldn't have been *that* bad I suppose...

So I just bought one of these Brewers Best Pumpkin Spiced Porter kits. Based on the comments here I'm planning to cut the spices at least in half in the boil, and then add more to secondary if necessary using the spiced tea method.
I'm thinking that I want to add some Pumpkin, since this recipe doesn't actually have any pumpkin in it. I don't want to mess with baking a pumpkin, so I'm thinking to buy some canned pumpkin. Any thoughts on how much and when to add, and anything else a noob like me might be missing?

Thanks!

So I just bottled this kit, and used the whole spice packet. I spoke at length to the owner of my home brew shop about it. He recommended using the whole packet, but allowing it to mellow out for 3 months (total) before drinking. For me that was 9 weeks of fermenter time (primary and secondary combined) and three weeks in bottles. Even without the bottle time, it's outstanding. It would certainly be overpowering if you didn't allow enough time to age.

TL;DR: If you're drinking it soon, use 1/2 a packet. If you're letting it age 3+ months, use the whole one for a deeper flavor.

So I just bottled this kit, and used the whole spice packet. I spoke at length to the owner of my home brew shop about it. He recommended using the whole packet, but allowing it to mellow out for 3 months (total) before drinking. For me that was 9 weeks of fermenter time (primary and secondary combined) and three weeks in bottles. Even without the bottle time, it's outstanding. It would certainly be overpowering if you didn't allow enough time to age.

TL;DR: If you're drinking it soon, use 1/2 a packet. If you're letting it age 3+ months, use the whole one for a deeper flavor.

@Brewskiletta I am planning on brewing this in a week or two so that it's ready around halloween. How long did you let it condition in the secondary v. conditioning in the bottles. I've got time on my side, so I'll use the whole spice packet, but am wondering about the timing in each stage.

Also, I am noob with about 4 batches under my belt. I was thinking of using a wyeast activator since the 2 batches I've done with the activator were MUCH more flavorful than just pitching dry yeast. Anyone have any suggestions for a yeast to use? I was leaning towards the California Lager yeast. Haven't broken into making starters yet, but could be open to it if anyone's gotten awesome results.

Hey mate,

Just checked my records. I left it in the primary for 29 days, and the secondary for 36. Unfortunately I stopped recording there, but I seem to recall drinking it over the next 2-3 months, and it only getting better with time. I'd suggest at LEAST three months total, probably closer to 4-5 to really let it mellow.

Cheers!

I brewed this kit last fall, and added a couple cans of pumpkin, baked with brown sugar. I added half the spice in the boil, and the other half when bottling.
It was good last fall, and not too spicy, although too bitter for my taste. I just had another bottle a few weeks ago and it was much smoother and more mellowed. definitely needs some time to age!!

i just popped the top on the first two that i brewed following their direction, the spice is so over powering it almost has a chemical aroma. Way too much spice. I wish I has seen this thread.

On a brighter note, I emailed the company and they apologized and sent a holiday ale kit for free. Good business practice is refreshing

Back