I need a lot of help with this kristalweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rguardian989

Reaction score
I'm trying to clone a kristalweizen a friend of mine tried while he was in Montreal. I know absolutely nothing about wheat beers in general let alone kristalweizen. I emailed the brew bar owner and he gave me the following (vague) list of ingredients

La Secret des dieux (the secret of god) is a crystal weizen brewed with wheat, barley, unmalted barley, and splat hops. It is fermented with a mix of hefeweizen and abbey yeast at around 17 deg Celsius.

anyone have any ideas as to a grain bill, hop schedule and yeast strains?

First off, welcome to the funderful world of fermentation.

Second, a "Kristall" is a filtered German Hefe Weizen. What you want is a German yeast and German hops. Incidently, while "splat" sounds funny, it's really "spalt".

Third, if it used Abbey yeast then it's not a German Hefe Weizen. Abbey yeasts are used in Belgium.

Funny how they muddy the definition waters for the sake of confusing the consumer all to get his buck...;)

Just make a German-style Hefe Weizen and secondary it for a couple of weeks to allow the yeast to fall out and become "kristall".

You can check out my recipe to the left.

Back