Moose Drool by Big Sky Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's bottled and aging - I'm entering it in a competition in mid-february...

I've tasted it ~1.5 weeks into the bottle and it's pretty close to Big Sky. It's a little bit drier, which IMO is good.

I'm hoping to do a side-by-side comparison during the Super Bowl with a bunch of friends and will post back...

Noob here-First time post-

Made AHS Moose Drool Mini Mash Kit yesterday-Hoping it will turn out well, this beer is the reason I have started brewing, but after tasting my first batch of a clone of one of my local ales-Highland Gaelic Ale yesterday while brewing the Moose Drool, I will definitely keep at it!

Anybody got an extract or partial mash version of this recipe-The AHS kit is definitely different in the hops-1 oz. Goldings for 60 mins., and 1/2 oz Glacier and 1/2 oz Mt. Hood for the last 15 mins., At work and can't remember the grain bill right now, but that looks pretty similar.

Thanks

Interested to see how this clone recipe turns out. I've not had the pleasure but my bro lived in Idaho for 3 years and will not shut up about this beer. If your recipe is accurate i can most likely get him to buy the ingredients, or at least go halves and I'll slipt it with him and teach him to brew. But he's either got to pay for the whole recipe, or pay half and help brew it. Maybe this will be my next brew.

Email I got from Big Sky :
You can find many Moose Drool clones on line for home brewers, but here is one we provide:

Moose Drool

OG 1.052
Color 38
IBU 26

Pale 87%
Crystal 75 10%
Chocolate 2.8%
Black .2%

Final Mash Temp 154° F

70 minute boil

20 IBU East Kent Goldings

Liberty and Willamette for flavor and aroma for total of 26 IBU

Fullers ale yeast

Email I got from Big Sky :
You can find many Moose Drool clones on line for home brewers, but here is one we provide:

Moose Drool

OG 1.052
Color 38
IBU 26

Pale 87%
Crystal 75 10%
Chocolate 2.8%
Black .2%

Final Mash Temp 154° F

70 minute boil

20 IBU East Kent Goldings

Liberty and Willamette for flavor and aroma for total of 26 IBU

Fullers ale yeast

That looks just like the one they just talked about on Jamil's new show "Can You Brew It." I just listened to it today and they brewed this recipe and blind taste tested it against the actual Moose Drool and all 3 guys picked the homebrew as the Moose Drool.

Of course, Jamil brewed it, probably on some setup that makes the rest of ours look like a booger, but still it seems the recipe must be solid.

I listened to Jamil's show the other day on Moose Drool it didn't sound that hard to make, Jamil said that he was bbq'n and didn't really pay attention to brewing that day and still made a dead close clone to the original.

Moose Drool is one of the beers that gets me by without Fat Tire. They sell Moose Drool here... no Fat Tire.

FFS, I found Fat Tire in Okinawa! Stupid distributors :(

I can't get the Liberty around here? where is a good source, or can I substitute some hallertau?

ok, going to order ingredients for this tomorrow. Going to brew 10 Gallons and was thinking of taking 2-3 gallons and infecting it for storage after initial fermentation. I've never had this beer before though so I don't knwo if it would make a good sour base. I'm making it on good reference from this forum and my bro who lived in Idaho for a few years and won't stop bitching about not being able to get it. Any suggestions on if it would pair well with Brettomyces or another souring agent perhaps?

I don't know anything about souring beers really. You should talk to Evan! He's pretty knowledgeable about this kind of thing.

Here's my recipe using Beersmith to convert the 6 gallon recipe Jamil cloned to an 11 Gallon batch.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Jamil's Moose Drool
Brewer: Brad
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 20.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
19 lbs 12.8 ozPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 86.91 %
2 lbs 4.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 10.06 %
10.1 oz Chocolate Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 2.78 %
0.9 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.25 %
2.58 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 25.3 IBU
1.11 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
1.10 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
2 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 22.78 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 28.48 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

You still going to sour this?

Talking to me?
If so I'm probably going to hold off. I got 40-50 to spend on ingredients. I can either make 5G of MooseDrool, or 10 gallons of some AG Kits from NB.com. I might go with that for just to boost my pipeline. Probably their Irish Red kit and maybe their Cream Ale or Kolsch. Anyone have experience with those NothernBrewer Kits? Worth it?

Anyone have experience with those NothernBrewer Kits? Worth it?

I've ordered quite a few. They have quality ingredients and prompt shipping, although most (not all) of their kits seem to be fairly simple and basic. Every time I've ordered one of their kits I've modified it with extra ingredients, which is a very cost effective method. Overall I'd recommend them to anyone looking for competitively priced, quality beer kits.

I just found another reason to love this beer! After months of staring at them, I finally got around to cleaning a bunch of bottles that have been collecting over the past months. In addition to what I normally have on hand, I have not been throwing out or getting rid of any bottles so I had about 5 cases of bottles sitting in my back room. A LOT of these just happened to be moose drool (did I mention I like this beer a lot ;))

So anyway, threw the first 3 cases worth in for an oxyclean soak. The labels on the moose drool came off way easier than any of the others, especially the local stuff from Lewis and Clark.

They pretty much all were floating by the next morning, and with just a simple wipe and quick rinse, I have a bunch of clean bottles :rockin:

I finally did a side-by-side comparison between the recipe I brewed and the Big Sky version.

Here's my take (albeit biased)

mine was a little sweeter and a little less smokey than the Big Sky version, and in my opinion a better beer...

Do you think I could get close to this beer by boing a partial mash recipe?

Getting ready to go all grain is taking a bit longer than expected, and I need to brew :mug:

The keggle & immersian chiller are ready to rock, so I need to get something made. I have been doing partial mashes for awhile with my smaller pot, so I can handle this easily as a PM.

I don't have any of the software programs (yet) so any help making the conversion would be appreciated.

Do you think I could get close to this beer by boing a partial mash recipe?

Getting ready to go all grain is taking a bit longer than expected, and I need to brew :mug:

The keggle & immersian chiller are ready to rock, so I need to get something made. I have been doing partial mashes for awhile with my smaller pot, so I can handle this easily as a PM.

I don't have any of the software programs (yet) so any help making the conversion would be appreciated.

Here is the recipe converted from AG with beersmith and original put together from the Jamil and Tasty show where they cloned it. I don't know how much the mash times and volumes will help but this is mainly for the ingredients.

I hope it helps you out.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Moose Drool PM
Brewer: Matt
Asst Brewer:
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.92 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 19.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
5.71 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 62.70 %
2.19 lb Great Western American Pale (3.0 SRM) Grain 24.04 %
0.94 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 10.36 %
0.26 lb Chocolate Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 2.90 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.2 IBU
0.60 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.60 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 3.40 lb
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
75 min Mash In Add 5.10 qt of water at 159.5 F 150.0 F

Here is the recipe converted from AG with beersmith and original put together from the Jamil and Tasty show where they cloned it. I don't know how much the mash times and volumes will help but this is mainly for the ingredients.

I hope it helps you out.

Recipe: Moose Drool PM
Brewer: Matt
Asst Brewer:
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.92 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 19.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
5.71 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 62.70 %
2.19 lb Great Western American Pale (3.0 SRM) Grain 24.04 %
0.94 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 10.36 %
0.26 lb Chocolate Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 2.90 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.2 IBU
0.60 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.60 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 3.40 lb
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
75 min Mash In Add 5.10 qt of water at 159.5 F 150.0 F

Couldn't It be converted to extract with steeping the grains? I didn't see any grains that needed to be mashed (except the Great Western American Pale)

I finally got around to brewing this tonight. I got to try out my new boil kettle (converted keg) and bought a 2 gallon cooler to mash in. I'm going to start a thread to detail the brew, and a few new things I tried.

All in all, everything went well. I started out with 7 gallons of water, and just over 6 1/2 went into the boil kettle. I came out right at the 5 gallon mark, but overshot my gravity with an OG of 1.064.

Can't wait to try this beer!

Just pulled my first one from the keg.................

..............................:fro::D:rockin:

I am ordering a second batch tomorrow morning, that is for sure.

I'm not sure exactly how close it is, but I will do a side by side comparison next week. I just know that on its own merit, this is one fine brown ale.

I think I might be the only Montanan that seriously dislikes this beer. They do have it in cans now too though. :p

Had my first Moose Drool this weekend.

Just...wow. That is one great beer. I'm seriously considering making my next batch the CYBI clone.

I am brewing my moose drool inspired ale this Friday. I am using the hops that I have on hand and a 2 liter harvested bells yeast starter. I added some victory just to add another toasy, bread crust type of dimension to the beer. I hope it works out. I will ferment for 2 weeks primary then bottle.

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/4/2010
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.58
Taste Notes: 2 liter bells starter, mash at 154

Ingredients

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 84.18 %
1.25 lb Dark Crystal (75.0 SRM) Grain 10.52 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 2.10 %
0.25 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.10 %
0.13 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.09 %
0.70 oz Magnum [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.14 % %
Bitterness: 24.4 IBU Calories: 230 cal/pint
Est Color: 21.7 SRM

Looks good doesn't it? I am actually considering a small willamete dry hop..what do you think about that? Good idea or bad idea> ?

Moose Drool made my top 10 list the first time I had it. I find it to be best at about 50°, you really get the full flavor.

I did the NB Caribou Slobber, and am not impressed. I've liked almost all of the other kits I've brewed from them, but this one is just not all that. It's been kegged for 3-4 weeks now, after spending 4-5 weeks in primary, and I don't find it to be anything like Moose Drool. Maybe it just needs some more conditioning time.

Moose Drool only just became available at my local liquor store here in Dallas. A good friend of mine introduced me to it a few years back in MN. It's suuuuch a great beer. Easily makes my top 5 for session beers.

I used to not be a fan of it. I didn't think it was bad, but definitely my least favorite of Big Sky's offerings. However, I recently revisited it and it's gone up greatly in my estimation. I don't know if my tastes have shifted or they tweaked the recipe, but it is definitely a tasty brew.

It seems like the beer guy at the specs in my neighborhood reads these forums, everytime I read a thread about some stupid good beer it shows up there a week later.

Either way I thought moose drool was too sweet, that just may be because my janet's brown ale became ready to drink a week ago and I've had nothing but it since then.

Back