Need help from SERIOUS AUDIOPHILE! (Pics included)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon1856

Reaction score
Ok, so check it.

I've come across something that I know NOTHING about, other than what I've read on RCA Model 74 "Junior Velocity" Microphones. Obviously it's a microphone, but if that little description is to be believed it's an OLD ARSE mic.

My question is this: Do any of you good people know anything about it? Value? History? Anything? I'm trying to decide what to do with it as I am obviously not interested in keeping it. I'm looking for anything from you guys!

Help a brewer out!

FrontAssembled.jpg

Label.jpg

FrontWScreen.jpg

BackNoScreen.jpg

It was basically the standard for small broadcasting companies across the US. Almost everyone had one, even ham/short wave radio operators. They used them for sports announcements and schools since they were inexpensive. They ran that mic for nearly 30 years before new technology (FM radio and other higher quality broadcasting techniques) warranted a "better" sounding microphone.

The thing probably still works. I wouldn't know how much it's worth, try searching Ebay and Craigslist

Thanks Computertekguy. I appreciate the info. I listed it on ebay and asked for experts to chime in. Sounds like it could be worth at least $500, probably upwards of $800. Not bad for a silly little old mic I think! Glad I brew beer instead of collecting that crap!

Back