Contamination ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandalG

Reaction score
Hey there,
After 2 1/2 weeks in the primary the airlock seemed a little low so I decided to add some water this morning which some got sucked into the primary. The thing is I used straight ro water not sanitized. Which probably wasn't a good idea. So do you think their is a good chance the wort may be contaminated and if so what should I look for when bottling this weekend.It's an Oberon clone if that makes a difference.
Thanks.

I did the same thing (straight ro water in airlock, sucked in) and mine is not contaminated. You're more than likely fine. But if there were an infection, what could be done about it now?

You won't ever completely eliminate every possibility of infection but just make an effort to be careful. Don't worry, everything should be fine.

Thanks.I was hoping I may be over reacting. I was also wondering at this point is it possible the alcohol in the wort would kill any bacteria that may have gotten in there.

It is really hard to infect a brew. Not that you should take sanitation lightly but you really have to have some bad luck to infect anything as long as you are halfway clean.

Back