Dry hops for a Chinook/Centennial/Amarillo APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncleozzy

Reaction score
I brewed up a mini-mash APA this weekend, and I'm planning on dry hopping it in a couple of weeks. My original plan was 1/2oz each of Amarillo and Centennial, to match the flavor/aroma hops, but I thought I'd take the temperature here and see if anyone's got suggestions. I've got Chinook, Amarillo, Centennial, and a ton of Cascades available. The recipe looked like this:

6# Light/gold LME (it was in the fridge for 3 months... it's a bit dark)
2# Vienna
1# Dingemann's Caramel Pils
.5# Crystal 10L

.5oz Chinook (13%) @60
.5oz Centennial (9%) @10
.5oz Amarillo (9.3%) @10
.5oz Centennial @0
.5oz Amarillo @0

As an aside, those Chinooks smelled great up close, but they really stunk in the boil! The whole place smelled catty and skunky. Fortunately, the airlock smells like sweet citrus now, but the boil was awful.

I honestly think the Chinook would be a waste for dry hopping. I have used Centennial, Amarillo, and Cascade very successfully in my IPA for dry hopping...

Yeah, I wasn't planning on dry-hopping with the Chinook, unless someone came up with a really compelling reason. Very different flavor profile from the Centennial/Amarillo. I was just thinking, though, like david_42 suggested, that I might go with some Cascades in there, or maybe all-Amarillo or all-Centennial.

I've got some Cascades from Freshops that I haven't opened yet, but the last package of Cascade pellets I opened smelled fantastic, and I've got two more oz. from the same order.

I think it depends on what aroma you're looking for. If you want more of that floral/citrus aroma go with the cacades/centennials. If you want more of a grapefruity aroma go with amarillo. If you want an herbal/piney aroma go with chinook.

I've used all of them in dry hopping schedules and all work wonderful--you just need to pinpoint what type of aroma you really want to show off.

Well, I just got home from work and took another sniff at the airlock, and it's fantastic. Mostly Amarillo coming through so far. I might go with an all-Amarillo dry hop, but I guess I'll reserve judgment until I take (and smell, and taste) a hydro sample.

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

Back