Finally!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
Making a DFH 60 min clone and after terrible conversion after terrible conversion on prior brews I finally got one right - 86% efficiency!!! And with my own homemade barley crusher no less!!!

I'd like the thank the academy, my agent, and of course the fans, without whom none none of this would be possible :)

Sorry I'm gushing here, but this has been a long time coming and ends some serious frustration.

Very nice! How abouts did you make your crusher?

It's loosely based on this: Homemade Grain Mill. I used a wooden rolling pin (cut in half) that I got at walmart for $4 as the rollers. I used a 1/2" steel rod that I got at Lowes as the axle for the rollers. A couple of 1/2" bearings that I got on ebay for $1.85 and some spare wood that I had left over.

Mine doesn't use a sliding box mechanism, but rather the bearings on the dead roller slide laterally in some grooves that I milled out. I use two bolts, similar to the plan at the url, to adjust the roller.

Sounds crude, but it's amazing how good it works....well after one try anyway.

Congrats!

Pics of mill?

Unfortunately I didn't document it. It was such a long project (a little here and there) that I never snagged shots every time I made a trip to the basement to work on it.

Unfortunately I didn't document it. It was such a long project (a little here and there) that I never snagged shots every time I made a trip to the basement to work on it.

I'd love to see a pic of the final product still. I've been debating making or buying a mill here soon.

Thanks! That site is a great verbal walk through but im a picture kind of guy.

Back