DIPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have about half a pound of whole dry cascade (homegrown, so probably not that bitter) hops that I need to use in an IPA. Where do I add them?

Here is what I have

9.9 pounds of Muntons light extract
1 pound of crystal 60
1/2 pound of crystal 40
8oz. of victory
3 oz. of cascade pellets (6.7 AA)
1 vial of WLP099 (super high gravity, I figured I needed it because of the amount of extract)

Any thoughts on where to add the whole hops? Also, any thoughts that come to mind on how to make the best of these ingredients please let me know.

ps. I am planning on making a starter

The big question is "what kind of flavor do you want?"
Do you want a more bitter beer? Put more in bittering and less in flavoring/ dry hop.
Do you want a very citrussy floral hoppy beer? Put very few bittering hops in and some at mid boil and a lot at the end. Then some more in dry hop.
Do you want a balanced beer? Well, I wouldn't deviate much from most of the standard IPA recipes you can find here. That is not a really big beer by the ingredients. You definately don't need the WL099. I have only used that for a mead (got to 15% without any special treatment) and a cider. In both cases, I had to wait several months for the yeast to clean up some off flavors. My best recommendation for a very clean easy IPA with those ingredients is the Safale 05 dry yeast. No fuss, no muss. Quick ferment, great floculation, and a super clean flavor for citrussy hops.
Anyway. The first question is the most important.
Cheers.

Back