My First Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
This past friday I tasted my first barleywine. I figured it'd be a good idea to try what I only thought I wanted to brew. The particular one I tried was called "blithering idiot"

after the first sip which tasted to me like bourbon mixed with ale i realized how right everyone who recomends this as a sipping drink to be enjoyed over the course of an evening.

During the course of the one bottle i grew to appreciate the taste although it took me near 2 hours to complete. I've decided this is not a brew that I would have regularly nor is it something that i will be brewing any time soon.

I've put the remaining 5 bottles in the wine cellar and will open one every now and then.

would anyone have a barleywine that they could recomend?

Dextersmom said:
would anyone have a barleywine that they could recomend?

Blithering Idiot is decent but definitely not one of my top 5.

I'd keep an eye out for:

Stone Old Guardian
Bells/Third Coast Old Ale
Victory Old Horizontal
Great Divide Old Ruffian
SN Bigfoot
John Barleycorn's Barley Wine

...I've been looking for Lost Abbey's Angel's Share and some of the Lagunitas.

cool thanks for the list. the blithering idiot I jumped on because that was the first and only one i've seen so far. most of the package stores in my area only sell mainstream brew and the occasional flavor of the month micro brew.

I made up my own recipe for an english barleywine. It won't be done aging until August(I'm giving it a year of bottle conditioning). I tried a bottle a few weeks ago to see how it was progressing. I'll tell you after a few beers that 12% abv really had me feeling good:cross: .It's a bit heavy and sweet, but delicious. I might have to do another one when i finish that stuff.

Back